Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico score boost?

tag
Watio
Established Member

Fico score boost?

Hello, I'm new to the forums. Been lurking a while lol.

So my question is as follows. I would like to apply for a loan in the near future, 2 months or so and want to know what would be the best plan of action to raise my score. My card balances/limits are as follows;
1- 450/500
2- 133/300
3- 350/500
4- 2400/2500

I am planning on paying them all off within the next 3 months, but I would like to know paying what where would give the most points per dollar so to say.. Would it be better to pay off te low limits first then do the higher to see a boost or what? Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fico score boost?

Pay down the 2400/2500 by at least 200
Subsequently pay off the 450/133/other small one all to zero
Then start working on the large balance again

Would be my pure FICO recommendation.

        
Message 2 of 9
Watio
Established Member

What would be the reason for paying 200 on the 2400 balance? Does that bring it down to a certain %? It would bring my card to 88% but I'd be about 58% overall.
Message 3 of 9
Watio
Established Member

Also once it is all paid off..would it be beat to have all cards but the 2500 limit report a balance only? And at what % should I keep it at?
Message 4 of 9
Watio
Established Member

All cards to report 0 but the 2500** sorry, damn iPhone lol.
Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

90% is a threshold for a maxxed out card which is an additional FICO penalty.

        
Message 6 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

+1 on the paydown. Utilization can be a real score killer.  You want the number of cards with a balance to be 1, preferably your highest limit card.  And you want that balance to be between 3 to 9 percent of your total credit limits across all cards.

This nifty graph from another board shows the effect of utilization across a bunch of different profiles.

UtilEffect_zpsc12faa4d.jpg
Message 7 of 9
Watio
Established Member

Perfect, thanks! Any idea what, roughly when I get to that point, my score could be. I'm currently at 610 with the cards reporting those numbers. Once they're all down to 0 balance, and my higher limit reporting a low %?
Message 8 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

If you're at 610, and fix your utilization issues, you should see a sizeable boost.

But I assume there are also derogatories or something else going on, and utilization alone won't do it.

Utilization and payment history are each around 1/3 of the total score.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.