cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico score drops 10 points no reason.

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Re: Fico score drops 10 points no reason.

Up date I was went over my transunion report again and did find one change that JCp account that I had over 30 years ago which I had not used in a long time had stop reporting to transunion, this account was in good standing do have aanother jcp account which is open and in good standing with a 20K limit which is reporting Ok. I don't know if a 30 year old account which drop off would have drop my score by 10 points.

Message 11 of 15
thornback
Senior Contributor

@firefox100 wrote:

Up date I was went over my transunion report again and did find one change that JCp account that I had over 30 years ago which I had not used in a long time had stop reporting to transunion, this account was in good standing do have aanother jcp account which is open and in good standing with a 20K limit which is reporting Ok. I don't know if a 30 year old account which drop off would have drop my score by 10 points.

Yes. If it dropped from your report completely then it could drop your scores because it would affect your age of accounts.  If it was your oldest, then it's removal would lower your AoOA (age of oldest account) or AoORA (age of oldesr revolving account) and your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) or AAoRA (Average Age of Revolving Accounts)

You'd have to compare your AAoA/AAoRA (and AoOA, AoORA) before the drop vs after the drop to determine whether an age related scoring threshold was crossed. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 12 of 15
firefox100
Valued Contributor

No my average age of accounts did not change, the JCP account was closed for long tie it just stop reporting my age of accounts is 6.3 years and that did not change at all.

Message 13 of 15
thornback
Senior Contributor

@firefox100 wrote:

No my average age of accounts did not change, the JCP account was closed for long tie it just stop reporting my age of accounts is 6.3 years and that did not change at all.

Closed accounts continue to age and factor into your age of accounts for as long as they remain on your reports. So when calculating you need to consider both open and closed accounts currently listed on your reports. Closed accounts do not stop aging just because they are closed. 

It's possible the removal of this account did not affect AAoA.... but have you actually done the math yourself or are you just going by the front-end software presented to you by whichever scoring service you are using?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 14 of 15
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Up date on my Fico scores dro 10 points. IN march Experian fico 8 droped from 804 to 796 which made me depressed, this morning got an alert from Experian that my fico score had change. Went to Experian app and was surprised to see that my fico score 8 went up by 14 points to 810. I now have only 2 accounts reporting balances down from 3 accounts, they are Bank America cash rewards visa with balance of 800 dollars and credit line of 20K and my Citi dc is now 250 dollars with credit limit of 21.6K and Us bank Altitude go card showing balance of 0 dollars down from $75. This shows me going from 3 accounts to 2 accounts made a big difference in my scores. Now question is the transuion fico 8 which is at 799 will that also go up when it up dates this week and go over 800 again. I don't understand why scores change has this much volatility going from 3 accounts 2 accounts and ul les then 1%. Could I get therapy from the moderators there must some thing wrong with me if fico scores give me this much emotions.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.