Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico scores

tag
RainaB13
New Contributor

Fico scores

My TransUnion score is always highest;my Equifax score the lowest. Presently there is a difference of 95 points! My CU officer says TU is fairer. I also was able to confirm TU from 4 different sources; Equifax only one. Do others of you generally have this same experience? TU 1st, then EX, with EQ last? Does anyone else have this much of a disparagement in scores?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Fico scores

Data on the reports used to generate scores can vary from bureau to bureau.  Have you actually compared all 3 reports?

Message 2 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@RainaB13 wrote:
I also was able to confirm TU from 4 different sources; Equifax only one.

OP, are those sources for your score various lenders? If so, they may or may not use the same FICO score found on here, used my mortgage lenders, etc, newer versions not readily picked up by lenders (e.g. the TU FICO offered via Wal-Mart). Or are these sources from a credit-related service? If that's the case, then the only service that offers a FICO is via myFICO (aside from the free FICOs via Wal-Mart, Discover, and Barclays) and all others are FAKOs.

Message 3 of 13
RainaB13
New Contributor

My EX is always lowest. Scores are from my Fico, Discover,Barclay's, my credit union & Amex which was in the letter which came when I received my card.
Message 4 of 13
RainaB13
New Contributor

The reports really aren't that different. Some have new cards, clis,card balances & usage percentages faster than others. I think the banks that use the bureaus know that some are tougher than others.
Amex did give me a $4000 limit around the same time Chase gave me $11000. I don't know who Chase pulls in Chicago but my EX has never broken 700. Even when my TU was 777 or my EQ was 769.
I have found nothing in my reports that explains it.
I'm just going to make sure my EX score is as high as it was when Amex accepted me, my usage, across the board is no higher than 7%,4% for Amex & everything else is equal to or better as the day Amex accepted me, before I ask for my 3x cli, even if it's more than 61 days; & no hps.
Message 5 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

My EQ/TU Scores here are 685.

My TU FICO scores via Walmart/Barclay are 707

My EX FICO via Amex is 717

All over the place...

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 13
RainaB13
New Contributor

What do you make of that? I was told when I first joined that even myFico scores are not the same as creditors see.
My 777 TU was what my credit union person saw when she approved my loan & my cli. Would Amex lie about what they pulled when they approved me? Barclay's just gave me TU's phone # so I could get my score. I had to call them & tell them it was just the recording where you leave your information for a free report; which I did. Didn't know I was eligible. Haven't been turned down since? Can't remember. Barclay's & Discover were 1/2 mo apart, but made sense. Credit Karma's in the ballpark but Sesame is from another planet!
Do some people get Walmart cards simply for the scores?
Did Discover send you their questionaire? They send you to Fico's site if you have questions about how to understand your score. What do you make of that? Would Fico let them if their scores were bogus. On the question, what did I think of the free scores, I answered that it would depend on how they were calculated. So I'm making no assumptions about their validity.
Totally offf the subject. I would love to join myFico fitness challenge but other than knowing how to access my profile, Yikes! I understand the instructions but how to actually? OK, I admit I'm 62! That's it. Thanks
Message 7 of 13
RainaB13
New Contributor

Maybe I should splurge & buy TU from Fico to be safe. Am truly bummed about MF Fitness. Who could send me a message while I was writing "Don't sugar coat things. I'm not Willy Wonka". Strange!?
Message 8 of 13
RainaB13
New Contributor

Feeling chatty. I've been around since before Fall, not new to credit just the Challenge.
Message 9 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As general guidance to consumers, Fair Isaac has stated that with identical credit file data, the different algoithms it licenses to the three CRAs should not vary by more than approx 30'ish points.

I would thus suspect data differences, and if score differences are approaching double-digits, I would suspect the differences to be in the more highly-weighted categories of util of credit or payment history.

If I could not decipher any significant differences, I would give a call to Fair Isaac, and perhaps they could shed some light.

They are the only ones who know the innards.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.