Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed Dispute Experian Score Dropped 70pts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed Dispute Experian Score Dropped 70pts

I filed a dispute for a cc that I had that was a collection/charge off account that I satisfied. The comments on my Experian report says
Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in progress
Account previously in dispute - Now resolved by data furnisher

Within 24 hours of filing the dispute (with all 3 CBA) my Experian credit score dropped by 70 points!

I’m assuming it’s because it re-aged the account? If that’s the case, when the dispute is over will my score go back up?
3 REPLIES 3
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Filed Dispute Experian Score Dropped 70pts

This is most likely due to the last activity date getting updated to current. This is the main reason to never dispute something that is valid. I’ve done it and suffered and have heard of similar things happening to others. I doubt you will get those points back when it closes. You probably should do some good will letters and see if you can get it removed or at least some of the derogatory factors off the account.

if you search for the company and goodwill then you may find some threads others have started and any results they may have had.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

When an account or anything goes into dispute, it is temporarily removed from calculation for FICO scoring purposes. However, dynamicvb brings up a very good issue. If you reacknowledge a debt by reaffirming it or paying something on it, then yes you restart the limitations. A dispute, however, should not restart the timeframe though. I wonder if that’s legal?
Message 3 of 4
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

If the Experian credit score is a Fico score than it will not be negatively affected by paying a collection in full and it updates on your cr.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.