Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Utilization Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General Utilization Question

I have a general utlilization question. My current rate is about 20%. Does the scoring model just look at the overall rate or 

does it look at individual accounts. For example, if I have 10 open accounts with an overall rate of 20% with 8 accounts at a 

zero balance, one at 5% and one at 40%. Would that be scored the same the same as 5 accounts with a zero balance and 5 with 10-20% utilization? Both the same overall utilization rate just different routes. I do not know if it is better to have more accounts with smaller

amounts of one account that contributes the bulk of the utilization?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: General Utilization Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a general utlilization question. My current rate is about 20%. Does the scoring model just look at the overall rate or 

does it look at individual accounts. For example, if I have 10 open accounts with an overall rate of 20% with 8 accounts at a 

zero balance, one at 5% and one at 40%. Would that be scored the same the same as 5 accounts with a zero balance and 5 with 10-20% utilization? Both the same overall utilization rate just different routes. I do not know if it is better to have more accounts with smaller

It considers both individual and aggregate utilization, with the generally accepted ideal being under 29% on any individual account, and under 9% on aggregate. Also under 50% of cards should report any balance to maximize the utilization. How much exceeding these ideals is likely to impact scores is overall profile dependant however. Many here describe AZEO, but that actually comes from needing 3 cards with only one reporting a balance, but if you have 5 cards, 2 can do so without reaching the 50% reporting threshold. I have one card that my sister uses and pays the payments and interest on and it is currently about 45% utilization. In spite of that less than ideal individual card utilization, my TU fico 08 is 845, so it can't be dragging my score down much. It is not possible to acheive AZEO with less than 3 cards, and if you have a lot of cards like me (about 20), you really do not need to micro-manage utilization if you always PIF.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 6
tcbofade
Super Contributor

As mentioned above, Fico scoring counts both individual and aggregate utilization.

In your ten card scenario, you might see a slight improvement with seven cards reporting at zero, one card at five percent, and the other two each reporting under 28.9%...

...you might not...

If you see a score bump, it wouldn't be much.

Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 6
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

As mentioned above, Fico scoring counts both individual and aggregate utilization.

In your ten card scenario, you might see a slight improvement with seven cards reporting at zero, one card at five percent, and the other two each reporting under 28.9%...

...you might not...

If you see a score bump, it wouldn't be much.

Good luck!

Yes, I think the actual thresholds are under 28.9% and 8.9% respectively due to rounding up to the next higher tenth of a percentage point. It is all very speculative in any case, as the brain trust giving advice officially says to only apply for credit as needed. Based on how much easier managing utilization is with a greater number of cards, that advice is clearly lacking. It is very easy to maintain ideal utilization with more cards and higher limits if you PIF. I never even take note of when a statement cuts, and have not in years. If 4 or 5 cards report, and you have 20 cards, there is no noticable score change because the thresholds are never even close to being approached. I also tend to believe that exceeding the 28.9% individual card threshold is somewhat watered down by having more cards. Clearly, based on my being only 5 points shy of the TU fico 08 max leads me to that conclusion.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 4 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1.  There are around 28 FICO scoring models, not just one.

2.  All of them do take into account not only aggregate revolving utilization, but also individual revolving account utilization.

3.  In the 2 examples you posited, I am guessing that most models would give you a better score in the second version, because having any individual account at 30% or more gets you penalized.

4.  Some of the scoring models, especially the older ones, most notably the mortgage scores, place a premium on having a lot of zero balances, so that if you had all but one of the accounts at zero, you would fare best in those models, so long as the one account is below 30%.  In my experience the FICO 8's and 9's don't penalize you much for having a lot of small balances.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 6
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1.  There are around 28 FICO scoring models, not just one.

2.  All of them do take into account not only aggregate revolving utilization, but also individual revolving account utilization.

3.  In the 2 examples you posited, I am guessing that most models would give you a better score in the second version, because having any individual account at 30% or more gets you penalized.

4.  Some of the scoring models, especially the older ones, most notably the mortgage scores, place a premium on having a lot of zero balances, so that if you had all but one of the accounts at zero, you would fare best in those models, so long as the one account is below 30%.  In my experience the FICO 8's and 9's don't penalize you much for having a lot of small balances.

I am pretty sure there are a lot more than the 28 we recieve with a 3B pull. I think I read that many fico scores specialized for various industies are just not as commonly used as those 28, so are not supplied. I know one of my statements show a fico NG1 score.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.