Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW DO INQUIRIES AFFECT CREDIT SCORE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HOW DO INQUIRIES AFFECT CREDIT SCORE

I currently have 30 inquiries on TU 40 EXP and 35 EX

How much of hit is this taking on my scores? Currently my scores are TU 575 EX 565 EXP 575. All inq. Are hard hits.

Please help? If anyone has suggestions about getting them off credit report?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: HOW DO INQUIRIES AFFECT CREDIT SCORE

Stop applying that a lot of inquiries. Build on the cards you have and let them age .

You applied you can't expect to get them removed .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 29
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Seeking Credit is a term I am sure you are familiar with.

My grandfather always said credit cards are for people that don't need credit.

Think about that for a moment.

Pissed me off too.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

Are all of your inquiries from credit card apps, or were you maybe rate shopping for a loan - like home or auto?

An inquiry will affect your scores for exactly 365 days from the date incurred.  When they age to the 365 day mark, they become unscoreable and any points lost are returned to you.  However, they remain on your reports, as a record, for a full 24 months (25 months on Experian). 

You have far too many inquiries.  Depending on how many of them are under a year old, they could costing you 30+ points.  We cannot determine how many points exactly because each profile responds differently to how an inquiry is weighed.

If they are all from applying for revolving credit, you need to stop applying at least until they all age a year - but waiting til most or all fall off completely would likely be best.  Excessive credit seeking behavior not only suppresses your scores, but is an easy denial reason for most lenders. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 29
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hard to say, but that is a lot of inquiries. I hope those aren't all from applying for just credit cards. In any case, I think after a certain point, additional HPs stop lowering score.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 29
donkort
Valued Contributor

I've read over 3 inquiries as affecting credit score......up to 6 inquiries.

If you're shopping around, and the inquiries are of the same nature (e.g. from mortgage servers), you can accumulate as much inquiries as you want for up to 2 weeks.  I've seen 45 days, too.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

14 days on EX2; 45 days on TU4 and EQ5.

De-duplication timeframes.
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be an interesting question. At what point did your inquiries stop costing you points? At what number?
Message 8 of 29
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have 30 inquiries on TU 40 EXP and 35 EX

How much of hit is this taking on my scores? Currently my scores are TU 575 EX 565 EXP 575. All inq. Are hard hits.

Please help? If anyone has suggestions about getting them off credit report?

If you don't mind, I have to ask...  What were the circumstances that generated so many inquiries?   I honestly get anxiety if I ever have more than one or two!   Smiley Happy

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that's a lot of inquiries, OP! It's time to put down the apps and garden for awhile!!

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.