Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inq. on CLI request

tag
ficus
Regular Contributor

Hard Inq. on CLI request

I inquired with my CCC (Chase) as to what happens when they increase my CL on their own vs. when one specifically asks for a CLI. Chase has increased my CL several times over the years without asking me. I myself have never requested a CLI. Well, they explained that when a customer of theirs requests a CLI, they pull a hard inquiry, while when they do a CLI on their own, they pull a soft one. Is this common practice among all major banks?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hard Inq. on CLI request

Some CCCs do what you are describing. CITI is similar to Chase whereas Amex and FIA have never pulled a hard on me when I requested CLIs.
Message 2 of 8
ficus
Regular Contributor

So, Amex and FIA do this as a policy then. Good to know. Thanks. Which CCC does FIA stand for, though?

Message Edited by ficus on 09-09-2007 04:06 PM
Message 3 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ficus wrote:
So, Amex and FIA do this as a policy then. Good to know. Thanks. Which CCC does FIA stand for, though?

Message Edited by ficus on 09-09-2007 04:06 PM

FIA is a card services desk for BoA. They are not a CCC but they certainly behave like one. After BoA took over MBNA most card holders have their existing accounts handled by BoA and a few like me have FIA handling their accounts.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

FIA is a card services desk for BoA. They are not a CCC but they certainly behave like one. After BoA took over MBNA most card holders have their existing accounts handled by BoA and a few like me have FIA handling their accounts.

A bit off the subject here, but with regard to MBNA accounts taken over by BOA....

I caught on my CSC report the same account being reported twice by BOA. Both by the original MNBA number AND the new number BOA assigned upon taking the account over.

Had it been a positive I would have loved it, but it was a BK. CSC deleted the old number's TL upon dispute.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful! Macy's just pulled a hard inquiry on me. I have 2 different Macy's cards and they pulled the hard Experian inquiry to do a credit line increase. I was unaware till I checked my report. I've written a letter asking them to remove those 2 hard inquiries. I'll let folks know if I have any luck with that.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are requesting a CLI, the CCC has PP to do a hard (although as discussed above not all will do it).  If the CCC automatically givest you a CLI, it should not be a hard because you did not initiate the request.
Message 7 of 8
Cooneyca
Regular Contributor

BoA bought MBNA??? so that's it!

Very recently a delinquency popped up under a BoA account dating back to 1998, and I had no clue where it came from since the only BoA account I have ever had is 2 years old and I have a stellar payment record with them.  The last activity date noted was 1998, $0 balance.  I never was delinquent with MBNA, but they didn't like my credit utilization (around 95%) and DTI so closed my credit line when I still had about $1700 to pay.  I made all my payments on time, but I wonder if after my last payment was made if they were a bit sloppy with their record keeping and now BoA is reporting it.  Seems so strange that they would bother since there is no balance.

Anyway, at least now I know what to reference when I write to them to go to get it fixed.

Message Edited by Cooneyca on 09-11-2007 07:25 PM
Jan 07: tu 498, ex 501, eq 504
Oct 07: tu 716, ex 712, eq 723
Nov 07: tu 693, ex 664, eq 672_post app frenzy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.