Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have the credit % thresholds changed?

tag
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Have the credit % thresholds changed?

I am going to be targeting some specific revolving debt and need a sanity check from the experts here. Last time I looked (3yrs ago) the credit thresholds to target so you can get a point boost were:

Scoring Thresholds
88.9%
68.9%
48.9%
28.9%
8.9%

Just want to be sure these are the same. I have an Excel spreadsheet with credit limits, current balances, and the specific dollar amount in order to meet or beat the thresholds above on my future payments. Let me know if I am good or totally off.

thanks!

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Have the credit % thresholds changed?

@kxkxkxx wrote:

I am going to be targeting some specific revolving debt and need a sanity check from the experts here. Last time I looked (3yrs ago) the credit thresholds to target so you can get a point boost were:

Scoring Thresholds
88.9%
68.9%
48.9%
28.9%
8.9%

Just want to be sure these are the same. I have an Excel spreadsheet with credit limits, current balances, and the specific dollar amount in order to meet or beat the thresholds above on my future payments. Let me know if I am good or totally off.

thanks!

It would be nice to know but those thresholds, if you're talking about aggregate revolving utilization, are not verified.

If you're talking about individual account utilization, I can say with certainty that getting below 50% and below 30% are definitely important thresholds. So with individual accounts I target 48% and 28%.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 6
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I figured the % aggregates will never be known, these percentages I was given awhile back were meant as a guide to pay down debts, thus, triggering those credit aggregates and giving you a point boost.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 3 of 6
sportsguy83
Regular Contributor

@kxkxkxx wrote:

Scoring Thresholds
88.9%
68.9%
48.9%
28.9%
8.9%

thanks!

Not an expert by any means but as someone who recently consolidated credit card debt these seem to be accurate.  I saw significant score increases at when I got below 48.9% and 28.9% especially.

Beginning Rebuilding - February 2022

Current Scores - June 2023

Goal Scores - January 2024

Message 4 of 6
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the reply!

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 5 of 6
DaisyAdair
Valued Member

@sportsguy83 wrote:

@kxkxkxx wrote:

Scoring Thresholds
88.9%
68.9%
48.9%
28.9%
8.9%

thanks!

Not an expert by any means but as someone who recently consolidated credit card debt these seem to be accurate.  I saw significant score increases at when I got below 48.9% and 28.9% especially.

This was my experience as well, a couple years back. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.