Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! What happened!?

tag
ACN323
Regular Contributor

Help! What happened!?

I recently submitted a dispute for EE to TU and EX about a PIF old charged off Cap 1 acct that's due to come off in Sept of this year. TU deleted immediately and I gained 44 points. EX said no and that was it.
 I specifically did not file a dispute or any request with EQ because I've read they won't budge and I didn't want to mess with them.

I got an alert from myfico today stating a recent late and a score drop from 672 to 645 on Equifax. I freaked out and pulled my report paying $20 as I just pulled one recently with annual credit report and wasn't eligible for another free one yet. 

The only negative I could find was the old Cap 1 acct was updated as of 03/2023-

120 days late and in the comments basically that this was in dispute but updated. 

I called Capital One and they said the acct hasn't been reported on since 2021 and to contact Equifax. 

I contacted Equifax and the acct rep told me that the charge off is due to come off 10/23. I asked why it said the acct was updated/score drop and he had no idea what I was asking him and proceeded to tell me how charge off's work.
I'm so frustrated and confused. I did not file a dispute with Equifax whatsoever, no idea why they updated.

I don't know if this is a glitch with myfico? My EX report and score are not phased as of today with no adverse action and like I said TU removed it immediately. 

Do I contact EQ again and hope to speak with a rep who knows what's going on? I've worked so hard in my rebuild to get my scores to where they are. Help! Am I missing something? 

Started at 490 in Dec.18’'
EX8 740 EQ 756 TU 753
Discover IT $4.7k
Apple Card $2.5k
Amex BCE $10k
Amex Delta Gold $15k
Citi LL Bean $5.4k
Synch Adorama $2k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.4k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! What happened!?

MyEquifax is really nice if you're not already subscribed, you get daily reports and you can flip between them to see changes

but pull your EQ report from there or from annualcreditreport and see if Cap1 actually changed their reporting or simply updated its 'last updated' date, making it look worse than it was

there's no? reason, unless Cap1 did it, that EQ should made any changes to the TL based merely on disputes to TU and Ex. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 10
markbeiser
Established Contributor

Sometimes requesting an EE/disputing with one will result in the creditor updating the account with all 3.
I've had it happen before, but closer inspection of the reports showed that they updated some incorrect info, which I then disputed and was deleated.

Basically, every time you poke the bear, you have a risk of the bear poking back.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yes TU will EE 6 months early. EX is 3 months. You jumped the gun. It came back updated and shows as a new baddie and thats your hit. Read your first sentence. You disputed both TU & EX. Congrats on TU. Wait until Sept with EX.

Message 4 of 10
ACN323
Regular Contributor

@GatoradeZeroGuy I just checked My Equifax again this morning. They updated-date reported 3/22/2023.

@markbeiser @FireMedic1 I didn't realize that it could trigger them reporting to all 3, since they make you file disputes with each seperate bureau. I misunderstood before submitting the 2 disputes and would've just left them alone had I known. Thank you for the information, appreciate the help from you all.

I'm done letting this get to me. DH and I are not planning on apping for anything anytime soon and he's our sole income earner, so I guess my scores good or bad don't really matter for future mortgage app. As long as this does come off 10/2023, and none of my other tradelines are messed with, I'll just be pleased to have a clean report for the future. Lesson learned over the last few years.

I've stressed way too much over the course of my rebuild about my scores, and I'm done obsessing over it. I can only continue to be responsible with my current accts and not pull any repeats of 7 years ago. 

EX8 740 EQ 756 TU 753
Discover IT $4.7k
Apple Card $2.5k
Amex BCE $10k
Amex Delta Gold $15k
Citi LL Bean $5.4k
Synch Adorama $2k
Message 5 of 10
Zoostation1
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Yes TU will EE 6 months early. EX is 3 months. You jumped the gun. It came back updated and shows as a new baddie and thats your hit. Read your first sentence. You disputed both TU & EX. Congrats on TU. Wait until Sept with EX.

Not the OP but very curious about this one.  My question is how or why updating makes it show like a new baddie? If a derogatory is X number of years old shouldn't it be required to be reported as that age regardless?  I'm sure that doesn't necessarily happen in practice but just trying to better understand the mechanics of how requesting an EE too early can make things appear worse for a time.  FWIW I'm of the opinion if they don't want to EE that's the CRA's choice but the lender reaffirming it's a legit derog shouldn't be able to make any difference in your scoring temporary or not.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
March 2024 FICO 8:
March 2024 FICO 9:
Message 6 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Zoostation1 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Not the OP but very curious about this one.  My question is how or why updating makes it show like a new baddie? If a derogatory is X number of years old shouldn't it be required to be reported as that age regardless?  I'm sure that doesn't necessarily happen in practice but just trying to better understand the mechanics of how requesting an EE too early can make things appear worse for a time.  FWIW I'm of the opinion if they don't want to EE that's the CRA's choice but the lender reaffirming it's a legit derog shouldn't be able to make any difference in your scoring temporary or not.

That one word...."Disputed" in the opening line. You know when it comes back verified. Its updated or looks new only by the update to FICO. Even though its old. Calling and asking and stating I'm not diputing. Sometimes especially EQ will make it a dispute.

Message 7 of 10
ACN323
Regular Contributor

UPDATE: Got an alert from myfico that my score changed. Thought it was due to letting a balance report for my Amex.... Experian and Equifax removed the charge off and my scores shot up 100 points on EQ and 61 on EX. I'm shocked! Clean report for the first time in a decade! 

EX8 740 EQ 756 TU 753
Discover IT $4.7k
Apple Card $2.5k
Amex BCE $10k
Amex Delta Gold $15k
Citi LL Bean $5.4k
Synch Adorama $2k
Message 8 of 10
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

@ACN323 wrote:

UPDATE: Got an alert from myfico that my score changed. Thought it was due to letting a balance report for my Amex.... Experian and Equifax removed the charge off and my scores shot up 100 points on EQ and 61 on EX. I'm shocked! Clean report for the first time in a decade! 

Yay! Awesome news! Congrats!! 

BKCH7 - Discharged Dec 2022
Message 9 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@ACN323 wrote:

Congrats!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.