Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher Score After Higher Utilization??

tag
hpotterfan77
Regular Contributor

Higher Score After Higher Utilization??

So today I got an alert that my Experian score went up 24 points after one of my cc'd updated HOWEVER, the balance it updated to was NOT my last statement balance but the balance on 9/30.  With that said, my score actually went UP with the high utilization on that card.  How is that possible and why aren't they updating with my last statement balance instead of what the balance is on the last day of the month?

Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (09/22): EQ - 617- TU - 638/EX - 647
Comenity M/C - $6730.00, BJs Perks MC - $2800.00, Credit One - $1200.00, Credit One - $800.00, NFCU -$6300.00, Care Credit - $5000.00, William Sonoma - $3500.00, Overstock - $4100.00, Pottery Barn - $2000.00>
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Higher Score After Higher Utilization??

And may I ask where do you get the score from?

Message 2 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@hpotterfan77 wrote:

So today I got an alert that my Experian score went up 24 points after one of my cc'd updated HOWEVER, the balance it updated to was NOT my last statement balance but the balance on 9/30.  With that said, my score actually went UP with the high utilization on that card.  How is that possible and why aren't they updating with my last statement balance instead of what the balance is on the last day of the month?

@hpotterfan77   US Bank does not report statement balance. They report whatever is present on the last business day of the month. 

That much of the score jump is usually related to aging. That would have happened on the first of the month, except you looked once you got the alert. Those two events are not related. It's just the timing that makes it appear like that. 

Message 3 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It's EX, so probably EX.

More than likely, something else has changed on your report to cause the score jump. Increased utilization will never raise a score unless you had $0 reporting  previously on all of your cards.

Message 4 of 6
hpotterfan77
Regular Contributor

Ah ok, that makes sense.  At least I know now when to payoff the bill on US Bank...lol

Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (09/22): EQ - 617- TU - 638/EX - 647
Comenity M/C - $6730.00, BJs Perks MC - $2800.00, Credit One - $1200.00, Credit One - $800.00, NFCU -$6300.00, Care Credit - $5000.00, William Sonoma - $3500.00, Overstock - $4100.00, Pottery Barn - $2000.00>
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hpotterfan77 wrote:

With that said, my score actually went UP with the high utilization on that card.

Your score increase was not related to higher utilization, it came due to another reason.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.