Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user score increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user score increase?

I was wondering what kind of score increase you all received after becoming an authorized user on a credit card, and how soon. Examples please!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Authorized user score increase?

This is dependent on the card being added (AoA assuming not an AMEX card, payment history, credit limit if utilization is an issue, etc) and the credit profile of the authorized user (AAoA, AoOA, utilization, if applicable any derogs such as lates and BKs, and so on). Because of these two factors there will be a lot of variance hence YMMV.

Because of a thick profile you may see minimal gains if any, same if the profile is riddled with a lot of negatives that need cleaning up first before any gains can be seen.Then those that do see gains it depends on too many factors to determine a mean you can use for your own purposes if this is why you're asking.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I know factors are associated but I was just curious to see what others experiences have been becoming an authorized user
Message 3 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Because you insist on getting an answer here are a few threads to start you off. Again, variance/YMMV because of too many contributing factors. You can see huge jumps, mild or even negative jumps in scoring when adding cards. If you take into account wanting to apply for a loan like for a car or mortgage and UW more often that not do not count AU accounts when calculating risk and DTI.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Authorized-user-and-credit-increase/td-p/5019345

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-much-did-BECOMING-an-authorized-user-raise-your-sc...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/authorized-user-didn-t-increase-points/t...

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to increase my mortgage scores. One factor hurting my credit is short account history. Which is average 4 years. Also having few accounts in good standing, which I only have 4 open. I have no credit card debt. Just a car loan and school loan (29k combined). I have had some missed payments in 2016 resulting in delinquency. My fico 8 scores are TU 685, EX 677, EQ 652
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dads account is 20 years old, 20k CC limit, 1k balance, and perfect history (840 score).
My moms account is also 20 years old, 28k CC limit and good history and 0 balance
Message 6 of 12
calyx
Super Contributor

Everyone's profile is different, and there's always the risk of tripping the anti-abuse algorithms.

My partner made me an AU on his 16yo Chase card, so I got the whole history credited.
My AAoA went from 5m -> 2+y, my AoOA went from 8m -> 16y

I gained 16pts on EX F8 and 20 on TU F8.  I have no idea if or how much of an impact there was on my EQ because it was messy and I didn't know when the AU would report, and the UTI wasn't particularly good.   I was made an AU early in March (maybe the 5th or 6th) and it was reported to the CRAs on the next reporting date ~22nd.   I could have had it reported earlier, but it wasn't a priority for me.

My FICO2 went up 4 pts, btw (that's the mortgage score from EX)

But, I have a file way younger than yours.    When I made the SO an AU on my account, the account also posted on his credit report on the report date for my card, so I tend to think of that as normal.

Everyone else has you covered on the ins and outs of general effects and whatnot - this is just my personal experience.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 7 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am trying to increase my mortgage scores. One factor hurting my credit is short account history. Which is average 4 years. Also having few accounts in good standing, which I only have 4 open. I have no credit card debt. Just a car loan and school loan (29k combined). I have had some missed payments in 2016 resulting in delinquency. My fico 8 scores are TU 685, EX 677, EQ 652

Adding accounts/cards as an authorized user may not help you with a possible mortgage depending on the lender. When they go over your report they may ask you to remove yourself from AU accounts that have no direct affiliation like having a different address and so on, or they may simply "remove" that account from their calculations when determining your scores and DTI. You may want to consider contacting your mortgage lender and see how they deal with AU accounts for scoring purposes.

Message 8 of 12
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

I was added as an AU to a card that had about 30% being used of the toal balance...15 year old card and I received a 15pt bump  within 2 weeks.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

**update**
My fico 8 score went up 20 points becoming an authorized user on a BofA card with 12 years perfect history and 28k CL. My fico 2 score went up 13 points. I’m being added as another authorized user in a couple days and I will update on that too.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.