cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does lowering my utilization lower my score??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does lowering my utilization lower my score??

I just got a credit update that my utilization lowered to 2% month over month, when the update came through it also showed that had lowered my Equifax score to 671 (currently my lowest score out of all 3). I don't get it, I thought low utilization was supposed to help or at the very least, not hurt. I'm frustrated with Equifax : -(
15 REPLIES 15
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: How does lowering my utilization lower my score??

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got a credit update that my utilization lowered to 2% month over month, when the update came through it also showed that had lowered my Equifax score to 671 (currently my lowest score out of all 3). I don't get it, I thought low utilization was supposed to help or at the very least, not hurt. I'm frustrated with Equifax : -(

When you get an alert on myfico because of the lower balances it will also generate your latest score. This needs to be considered 2 seperate pieces of info that are not necessarily related. In other words it is saying your balance dropped and your score went down. It does not mean the lower utilization caused the score drop. It is likely that the score dropped because of something else in your pull that did not generate an alert. AZEO with the one being under 29%, and aggregate being under 9% is what you need for best scores. As far as I know there is no points gained by dropping utilization from 8.99% to 2% aggregate, so if your utilization was say 8% and you paid enough to bring it down to 2%, your score would not change for that reason.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the insight. I wonder what caused it to drop then?
Message 3 of 16
sarge12
Senior Contributor

So do I often wonder what caused my score to change. My Experian fico 09 score went up 11 points in 11 days recently. To my knowledge the only change was 11 days elapsed. I pulled from myfico on the 18 of April and fico 09 score was 825. Then I recieved a free fico 09 update from wells fargo on April 29 and it was 836...no idea as to why the unexpected increase happened.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 4 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as I know there is no points gained by dropping utilization from 8.99% to 2% aggregate, so if your utilization was say 8% and you paid enough to bring it down to 2%, your score would not change for that reason.

A handful of us here (myself included) have experienced score changes at about 5% overall utilization. That's certainly not the norm, but it's reason to report a very low balance if it's important to eek out every possible point.

But that's not the issue at hand. The issue is that something caused the OP's score to drop, and it wouldn't have been the utilization change.

OP, how many points did you lose?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio

OP, how many points did you lose?

Good question, as if the OP did in fact cross a utilization threshold, which would have yielded a score gain, if he saw a score loss it would suggest that the loss came from a more impactful event.

For example, if he lowered his utilization across a threshold that would have gained someone say 15 points on average just to assign a number to the discussion here, if he saw a 10 point loss it would mean that the event/change he's looking for would be something that dropped his score 25 points.  That of course would be something pretty major.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I lost 3 points by lowering my already low utilization.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

That's nearly impossible, so I'll be the first to say that if you lost 3 points it was from something else.

If you went from X reported balance to a balance reported lower than X but greater than $0, there is no way that you would have lost any points.  Your score would either stay the same or potentially go up depending on if a threshold was crossed.  It would not go down.

Message 8 of 16
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

That's nearly impossible, so I'll be the first to say that if you lost 3 points it was from something else.

If you went from X reported balance to a balance reported lower than X but greater than $0, there is no way that you would have lost any points.  Your score would either stay the same or potentially go up depending on if a threshold was crossed.  It would not go down.

The only cases where I have known of something that known to be is good for a score lowering it instead and that actually being the cause of the score drop is in the rare cases of it causing re-bucketing. I have read of a collection dropping of the report as the only negative causing it, but the score actually dropped significantly. Almost all other cases are the misunderstanding of the idiotic way it shows an alert and the score change that it shows with it. I wish myfico would make it clear on the alert that the shown change in score may be unrelated to the alert. I also wish myfico would just go ahead and either eliminate the simulator or at least make it clear that it is worthless as a predictor of how the score will actually affect the scores.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking it has to be because of a new credit card account being added. But it still doesn't make much sense because I got an alert that the account was added a week before this latest alert that showed my score dropping. Fyi the first alert about the new account did not affect any of my scores.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.