cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many inquiries is considered a bit much?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many inquiries is considered a bit much?

I see people in this forum talking about racking up 10+ inquiries in a few months, and here I am freaking out over having 8 in 2 years, and of that  4 in the last year and due to drop off in 3-6 months. Am I being a bit over the top then or should I worry?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: How many inquiries is considered a bit much?

Like with everything else, it depends on the lender. My last approval was gotten with 19/24

Message 2 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Also keep in mind that after so many inquiries they barely register as far as scoring is concerned, some even get no score drops on their reports. Just as @Brian_Earl_Spilner said it depends on how lenient the lender is with regards to HPs. Some like Citi and US Bank are more strict on having a cleaner profile while others it won't matter as long as everything else on your reports checks out

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huh well, thats interesting. I seem to be pretty good. I keep getting offered a BBVA card and I was thinking of pulling the trigger but was a bit concerned with my inquiries. Of course I also need to check the card out but there you go lol

Message 4 of 29
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Yeah, but I also have a thick file. Oldest account is 22 years and my AAoA is around 13-14 years.

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my understanding, BBVA is neither new account nor inquiry sensitive.
Message 6 of 29
elixerin
Established Contributor

Hard Pull stories

how many hard pulls is just way too much? i have 18 on experian, 9 transunion and 14 on equifax at 19 years old with only three credit cards (Apple 5k, AMEX CM 4k, Disco 2k)

in my pursuit of better cards at one point to just getting a bit more rewards i applied a ton in the beginning of my history (1y 1mo now) for the “big guys” and got denied a lot and feel like its murdering my score.. 10EXP, 4TU, 9EQ over the last 12 months.. some of which my mom went a bit crazy but owell.. what do you guys recommend i go about? how many inquiries do yall have >.>
Message 7 of 29
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Hard Pull stories

Personal preference. I like single digit inquiries per bureau myself.
Message 8 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@elixerin wrote:
 and feel like its murdering my score..

Yes, your inquiries are probably holding down your scores quite a bit...  I've tried to keep mine at 3 or less per bureau, but I went on a spree in late 2018 so racked up much more on EX and EQ (some on EQ due to CLI requests) than what I'm comfortable with. TU only has one inquiry.   

My scoreable (less than 12 months) inquiries on EX are finally down to 3 and the scoreable ones on EQ are down to 5 --   The difference in my EX and EQ scores is fairly large (EX 767 | EQ 734); both reports are identical with exception of the number of inquiries.    

Inquiries affect individual profiles differently -- but just to give you an idea based on my profile:

From EX 746 ➝ 755 when I went from 5  4 scoreable inquiries

From EX 761 ➝ 767 when I went from 4 ➝ 3 scoreable inquiries

So those 2 inquiries were worth 15 points on my profile. 

I'll see how my EQ score responds to 1 inquiry becoming unscoreable on 1/3,  and another on 2/23;  so I'll be down to 3 scoreable inquries on EQ at that point... 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 9 of 29
elixerin
Established Contributor

thanks for the reply thorn, helpful insight

looks like ima be stuck with these three ccs for two years 😂
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.