Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Will Never Understand Fico Scoring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Will Never Understand Fico Scoring

My FICO score went up 7 points when I paid off a credit card balance at the end of January.  Today, I got a notice that my score dropped 7 points because: 

• There was a change on your credit report that lowered your score but did not trigger an alert. For example, the balance on an account might have increased enough to lower your score, but not enough to trigger a balance increase alert.
  • I have done nothing...I haven't opened any new accounts, and I have no balances on any of my credit cards.  There was no new activity on any account, The only 2 accts with balances are my car lease and mortgage, both of which dropped...so why did my score drop 7 points after it was just raised?  Who can I contact over something like this?

Message 1 of 8
    7 REPLIES 7
    MidnightVoice
    Super Contributor

Re: I Will Never Understand Fico Scoring

Understanding FICO scoring is an oxymoron  Smiley Very Happy
    The slide from grace is really more like gliding
    And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
    But to find a graceful way of staying slid
    Message 2 of 8
    demi
    Established Contributor

ohhhh, just posted basically the same problem.  Hopefully its a temporary thing....

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
    Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
    Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
    haulingthescoreup
    Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

• There was a change on your credit report that lowered your score but did not trigger an alert. For example, the balance on an account might have increased enough to lower your score, but not enough to trigger a balance increase alert.

• Hi, lexus, welcome to the forums! Was this the only maybe-it's-why that you got on your alert?
    * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 4 of 8
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

that happened to me months back but I discovered I fell into a different bucket once my acct's aged.
    Message 5 of 8
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

I got the exact same alert, with a 17 point drop. 
    Message 6 of 8
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

But I thought 'aging' was a good thing...meaning longer credit history.  Why would that make scores drop?
    Message 7 of 8
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

There was not even an alert that was triggered, as the note says...'something' changed on my credit report...so I pulled it and it is EXACTLY the same as the one that I pulled when my score had risen by 7 points...FICO giveth...and FICO taketh away!

Message 8 of 8
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.