Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improper Equifax Fico Hurting

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Improper Equifax Fico Hurting

I had assumed Fico knew if an account was open or closed but after reviewing the detail of my credit card accounts it seems they do not. Last year I applied for and was approved for a number of revolving accounts which I subsequently combined into other cards or outright closed. It seems after opening up the detail of my May 11th Equifax Fico report that all the cards which should read closed are all reading as open. Could this be hurting my score? My hard copy Equifax directly from Equifax clearly shows these accounts are closed. Most of these accounts have been closed well over 6 months. Would a call to Fico help to remedy this situation?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Improper Equifax Fico Hurting

For a Wells Faro account my EQ report here says

description: Paid account / zero balance

I went to the EX site and pulled my CR and it just says closed,  Based on my util calculation, I believe all CRAs think the account is closed but its hard to tell from reports form MyFIco.

To quote Larry the Cable Guy:  Why dont they just say fargin closed.

Message Edited by marty56 on 05-14-2008 02:56 AM

Message Edited by marty56 on 05-14-2008 05:33 AM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Jeez even a Capital One card I closed over 2 years ago is listed as open. Cards gone long dead for as much as 5 years are listed as inactive. Nothing whatsoever is listed as closed. Nothing.
Message 3 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

smallfry, is your full report from EQ new also, or an older one? EQ is having some peculiar hiccups in reporting. It has flickered back and forth on the status of a closed account for several days. I got an alert from both EQ Credit Watch Gold and myFICO Scorewatch, but the link from the Credit Watch was a dud, and when I pulled the report, it wasn't there. But it was there on myFICO. There were some other little oddball things as well.

I doubt that it's related, but I've noticed that EQ has dumped a bunch of my soft inqs resulting from my own score pulls, so my file is a lot smaller than it was. This was after a closed account fell off far too early. I wonder if they're doing some housecleaning, and we're occasionally seeing things in progress?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 15
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Yep, I have the same thing on my EQ. A closed Cap One acoount showing up as "Account is inactive". Everything else as "Not reported". But "Current Status" is "pays account as agreed".
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Everyone, when you go back and look at older EQ reports, whether from myFICO or the full things from EQ, how are these accounts designated?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 15
cobra19
Valued Contributor

a revolving account
Message 7 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@cobra19 wrote:

a revolving account

Sorry, I should have been more clear: on older reports, do these show as open or closed? (Trying to figure out if and when EQ's reporting of these changed.)
Message 8 of 15
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@cobra19 wrote:

a revolving account

Sorry, I should have been more clear: on older reports, do these show as open or closed? (Trying to figure out if and when EQ's reporting of these changed.)

On a February 5, 2008 EQ report, my closed accounts generally show:

Account closed at consumer's request

or:

Account closed by consumer

On an April 8, 2008 EQ report, the same closed accounts show:

Account status    Account is Inactive

Message Edited by psychic on 05-14-2008 10:06 AM
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 9 of 15
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Oooopppsssss.....................sorry

Account status: Account is inactive.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.