Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactive account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inactive account

I have a Slumberland Furniture card through Wells Fargo that has the term "inactive" in the remarks section of that account on my credit report. I am trying to get 20 points on my FICO score to qualify for a mortgage. Will charging something to that card raise my score?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Inactive account

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a Slumberland Furniture card through Wells Fargo that has the term "inactive" in the remarks section of that account on my credit report. I am trying to get 20 points on my FICO score to qualify for a mortgage. Will charging something to that card raise my score?

Thats an intresting question! I'm not sure but want to know myself. (hopefully a myFICO expert can chime in)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

A mod hopefully will move this to the Understanding FICO score board; however, theoretically it could raise your score but I don't have a confirmation of that nor an estimate of how much.  Like LS I'd be very interested in hearing what the result; however, I sort of assume there's a penalty in how it's factored into the score.  

Edit: assuming that it's a postitive tradeline otherwise.

        
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is some more information: I pulled out my trusty calculator and determined that the inactive account is not be factored into my revolving debt to credit ratio (at least on my experian CR). My revolving util is 72%. When I factor in the inactive account, it drops to 64%. I don't know if a 9% drop would give me the points I need, but this could be something to look out for to get a couple extra points, perhaps.
Message 4 of 8
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

72% revolving debt, pay it down then your see the 20 point jump you are seeking; your already over extending yourself...that % will also be looked at for the mortgage APP, not just your FICO score.  I say under 20% revolving debt and you should be able to qualify, you still have closing costs and all the other expenses that go along with the home buying...do you have that money to the side? I would dump that into the cards then when it comes time to move/buy furniture charge it to the cards.  GL!

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Here is some more information: I pulled out my trusty calculator and determined that the inactive account is not be factored into my revolving debt to credit ratio (at least on my experian CR). My revolving util is 72%. When I factor in the inactive account, it drops to 64%. I don't know if a 9% drop would give me the points I need, but this could be something to look out for to get a couple extra points, perhaps.

Interesting, mind doing the math on your AAoA and seeing if it's counted there as well?  I think illecs has a quick and dirty spreadsheet posted somewhere on this board which can help, but basically it's:

Take every tradeline, open or closed (not collections / public records), take the opening date, and calculate the number of months between the opening month and today's month.  Add all those together, divide by total number of tradelines, and that's AAoA.  I would *assume* that it's being counted correctly there.  

Also is there a date anywhere on when it went inactive?  Might be a status last reported date or something similar?

Anyway the other poster is right, if you're at 72% utilization, that's seriously dragging down your FICO score.  If you have any swing in your home purchase time, just pay it ASAP.  

        
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to buy a house relatively quickly so I don't get stuck paying rent for another year. The payment would be similar and either way we have to move this summer out of our current house.

I noticed that Equifax counts the inactive account into my revolving ratio, but Experian does not, so on my Equifax report, my debt to credit is 64%. I will try to work out the AAoA later today.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well depending on your definition of soon I highly doubt that your going to get your score to jump 20 points in at least 6 months depending on your credit history now!  So it's very unlikely that you can do this, I have seen big jumps before but they were all from haveing baddies on their report and ready to fall off.  Good LUCK  though!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.