Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment utilization 40%

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Installment utilization 40%

I believe I detected this morning a minor FICO 8 installment utilization threshold at 40%.

I picked up a group of small loans a few months ago, have been gradually paying them off, and have been watching EX FICO 8 and 2 on a daily basis to see what happens as aggregate installment utilization slowly drops.

I expected something to happen when I crossed 50% but nothing happened.

Today I crossed 40%, going from 40.7% to 36.4%, and my EX FICO 8 -- which has been very stable -- increased 2 points.

(Something else happened the same day... a hard pull. Theoretically that might have muffled the impact. But I doubt it, because my EX inquiries are already so high that another HP wouldn't have done a thing).

Update 8/19/20:  EQ FICO 8 increased by 6 points. TU FICO 8 didn't move.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installment utilization 40%

Interesting.  I'm sure you're speaking of aggregate installment loan utilization.  I'm curious of the individual utilization drops on the various loans as well, just for S&Gs.

Message 2 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting.  I'm sure you're speaking of aggregate installment loan utilization.  I'm curious of the individual utilization drops on the various loans as well, just for S&Gs.

I  have never found individual installment utilization to have any effect at all on anything. I monitor the actual current individual balances, but not the reported individual balances. The only reported (as opposed to actual current) figure I track is the total since that's the one that's score-moving.

Next step will be to see what, if anything, happens when I move from the 30's to the 20's.

When I did a comprehensive test of the paydown of a loan a few years back, I remember that there did appear to be discernible thresholds, but they were painfully minor in effect until I got below 10% when all of a sudden I was in the promised land.

Frankly, I would pay my current loans down to 9% today  -- and forego learning about possible 19% and 29% thresholds -- if I had the cash on hand.

What are "S&G's"?

Message 3 of 14
Dmessina666
Frequent Contributor

lol........**bleep**s and giggles

Message 4 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Dmessina666 wrote:

lol........**bleep**s and giggles

No wonder I didn't know. I live a cloistered life Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I got 7 points on EX when loan was at 90%, but nothing on TU and EX. 

Following month, I got points on TU and EQ at 87%, nothing on EX 

Loan is good for "testing" because nothing reports 7 days before it, and 5 days after it. Paid EX monitoring, and MF Premier. 

Each scheduled payment is 2%, but I've been paying extra to see what happens. 

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ have you ever found time to be a factor when it comes to installment loans outside of utilization?  I know there are negative reason codes pertaining to length of time revolving accounts have been established, but what about installment loans?

Message 7 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

SJ have you ever found time to be a factor when it comes to installment loans outside of utilization?  I know there are negative reason codes pertaining to length of time revolving accounts have been established, but what about installment loans?

Well our revered gurus Thomas_Thumb and Revelate seem to feel that the age of a loan is a factor.

I personally don't think so, as I would find that kind of 'thinking' inconsistent with the 'snapshot' perspective normally exhibited by FICO algorithms.

But I've never had any loan long enough (since I've been paying attention to FICO) to develop any personal feeling about it one way or the other.  My loans have all been young whippersnappers rather than venerable mortgages with whiskers.

Message 8 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I believe I detected this morning a minor FICO 8 installment utilization threshold at 40%.

I picked up a group of small loans a few months ago, have been gradually paying them off, and have been watching EX FICO 8 and 2 on a daily basis to see what happens as aggregate installment utilization slowly drops.

I expected something to happen when I crossed 50% but nothing happened.

Today I crossed 40%, going from 40.7% to 36.4%, and my EX FICO 8 -- which has been very stable -- increased 2 points.

(Something else happened the same day... a hard pull. Theoretically that might have muffled the impact. But I doubt it, because my EX inquiries are already so high that another HP wouldn't have done a thing).

By my definition, a score should change atleast 5 points with the attribute effectively isolated to be classified as a threshold. 2 or 3 point changes are noise and should be considered incidental. Otherwise, everything becomes a threshold and defining something as a threshold loses meaning.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

When my Equifax report caught up to the installment utilization change, my EQ FICO 8 increased 6 points, confirming my suspicion that crossing 40% does mean something.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.