cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installments Vs. Revolving

tag
Jonesbro123

Installments Vs. Revolving

Hello guy's I'm in need of some advice. Where should I put extra cash if I'm seeking to increase my fico faster.Should I pay more on my installment or credit card?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Installments Vs. Revolving

@Jonesbro123 wrote:

Hello guy's I'm in need of some advice. Where should I put extra cash if I'm seeking to increase my fico faster.Should I pay more on my installment or credit card?

Welcome to the forum!

Your scores will actually drop if you pay off your installment loan. Yes, really! The credit reporting agencies want you to have an open installment loan on your reports and will give you points for having one.

Revolving balances on the other hand should be kept under 10% for the best scores.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

@Jonesbro123 wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Your scores will actually drop if you pay off your installment loan. Yes, really! The credit reporting agencies want you to have an open installment loan on your reports and will give you points for having one.

Revolving balances on the other hand should be kept under 10% for the best scores.

Your overall point is completely correct but it's not the credit reporting agencies that care about open installment loans, it's FICO with the 08 model.  CRAs couldnt care less.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a few variables that need to be considered because they can really sway guidance.

If the installment loan has a ridiculously high interest rate and assuming no ridiculous early termination fee, I would say screw the FICO credit score and get that loan paid off.  Keeping the interest paid to a minimum should take precedence over your score.

Now - Assuming an installment loan at a manageable / low rate, I would direct the your payments toward credit debt to get your utilization below 10%.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.