Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Items in Dispute Not Counted In Fico

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Items in Dispute Not Counted In Fico

I recently found out that an account is in dispute from three months ago and still shows up on my report. I was told it is coded "T3" which is in the raw data saying it is in dispute currently. The account is valid and should show up but EQ/EX and even myfico have not idea what I am talking about. I only know of this when an IT supervisor with a credit monitoring service informed me of the issue.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and have any suggestions in verifying whether a item is counted in the FICO scoring?

Thanks,
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Items in Dispute Not Counted In Fico

r92503lind wrote:
I recently found out that an account is in dispute from three months ago and still shows up on my report. I was told it is coded "T3" which is in the raw data saying it is in dispute currently. The account is valid and should show up but EQ/EX and even myfico have not idea what I am talking about. I only know of this when an IT supervisor with a credit monitoring service informed me of the issue.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and have any suggestions in verifying whether a item is counted in the FICO scoring?

Thanks,

Any item in dispute is not factored in FICO scoring.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand that it wouldn't show up if it is being disputed but the problem is the item is showing on my CR and says I disputed the information but the CRA say there aren't any items in dispute. The only reason I know something is in dispute is because I was told about this code in the raw data saying it is coded as dispute and when I run the score simulator at their website it skips the card for paying it off because it is in dispute.

I know the comments would not cause something to be considered in dispute and so I am believing what the IT guy said about a background code identifying the account being in dispute.

Any thoughts?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

the coding causes the comments to appear.

I will verify that non CA stuff is not factored while in dispute. Good or Bad

r92503lind wrote:
I understand that it wouldn't show up if it is being disputed but the problem is the item is showing on my CR and says I disputed the information but the CRA say there aren't any items in dispute. The only reason I know something is in dispute is because I was told about this code in the raw data saying it is coded as dispute and when I run the score simulator at their website it skips the card for paying it off because it is in dispute.

I know the comments would not cause something to be considered in dispute and so I am believing what the IT guy said about a background code identifying the account being in dispute.

Any thoughts?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Any item in dispute is not factored in FICO scoring."

Is it true that some of the agencies don't suppress the item while disputed any more and some do?

Also I read somewhere here that a dispute temporarily costs points, is that true?

Message Edited by section8 on 08-01-2007 08:59 AM
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The way some comments are written it looks like someone typed it manually vs. a code but assuming that is the case if I have them remove all comments then they should be coded differently right?
Message 6 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in dispute. Does that mean you should dispute in hopes of increasing your score? NO! This could easily backfire. 
Collections and public records do not apply and are never exempt while in dispute. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Tuscani wrote:
There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in dispute. Does that mean you should dispute in hopes of increasing your score? NO! This could easily backfire. 
Collections and public records do not apply and are never exempt while in dispute. Smiley Happy

Collections and public records are not factored in scoring while in dispute. This is news to me! Please elaborate?
Message 8 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

fused111 wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

Collections and public records are not factored in scoring while in dispute. This is news to me! Please elaborate?

Not much else to say... if you dispute a collection or public item it's still factored into your score while the investigation is in progress.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani,

I am not trying to cheat the system as that has backfired in the past for me. I just want to find out exactly what triggers myfico or whoever is calc a FICO score what information makes an item in dispute that I can verify on my reports? I have record of items showing yet not counted in my score with little indication.

Do you have any idea how I can verify this?
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.