cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment is not reporting as satisfied - Should I update it or just wait?

tag
steve212

Judgment is not reporting as satisfied - Should I update it or just wait?

I have a judgment from 5/2009 that was paid/satisfied within a week of it being entered.  My credit reports show it still as unpaid.  Should I get it updated, or just wait 2.5 years for it to drop off?  

I was concerned that if I had it updated my score would drop because the date would be updated?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Judgment is not reporting as satisfied - Should I update it or just wait?

It is the plaintiff's attorney resposibility to inform the court it has been paid.  They only have a limited time to do so.

I would contact the court clerk and see if they have been notified of its payment and see if they have a satisfaction that has been recorded.  Have them send it to you if they do.

If not, you will need to contact the creditor or attorney and let them know it is still showing unpaid.

Message 2 of 6
steve212

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, when I search the court records website I find the "Satisfaction of Judgment granted per Order" was done on 05/26/2009

It still shows as unpaid on my report.  Should I have it updated or leave it as is?

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Your score should not be impacted by it reporting as satisfied. 

I would get it updated because an unpaid judgment can hamper you getting any type of credit.

Message 4 of 6
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

i had this same issue.  I continued to email the original creditor in my case it was an apartment.  Then I also disputed it.  1 every 6 months until it should as satified which at that time they removed it.  Mine was under the public information side.  I was due to fall off 6 months so I dont know the particular reason it was removed.  I only helped with a 10 pt boost because it was 6 years old.

Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
steve212

Do you think my score will improve if I get the status upgraded to paid?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.