Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Largest CL that still counts towards UTL

tag
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Largest CL that still counts towards UTL

Hello all. Just inquiring if there is any current info as to credit limits that still count towards revolving utilization? Penfed is offering me another card which I am considering just adding the limit to my current card instead of opening a new one. Any thoughts on what the boundaries are currently? Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Largest CL that still counts towards UTL

If you are approved by PenFed it will count.  Their max exposure across all CCs is $50K. 

Something to keep in mind about PenFed's recent policies was a cap of $25K being placed on recent CLIs or reallocations.  You'll have to check with them to see whether that's still viable.  Nonetheless, even if $50K was possible, it would still factor into the FICO utilization formulas.

I have not tested any recent DPs as far as which FICO version excludes specific revolving tradelines, but at one point, anything north of $70K (single revolver) was excluded in the older versions.   A few that I have above $100K were excluded the last time I checked. 

Message 2 of 20
Marcos8
Established Contributor

The CLI would take me to just shy of 50k on a single revolver with them.
Message 3 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I can confirm that my $50k Delta Reserve is still completely factored in.  There's a lot going on with my balances and profile, but I'm trying to figure out if $99.9k and $90k BOA cards are factoring in or not, but it'll be a few months before I can confirm for sure.

Message 4 of 20
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

If you are approved by PenFed it will count.  Their max exposure across all CCs is $50K. 

Something to keep in mind about PenFed's recent policies was a cap of $25K being placed on recent CLIs or reallocations.  You'll have to check with them to see whether that's still viable.  Nonetheless, even if $50K was possible, it would still factor into the FICO utilization formulas.

I have not tested any recent DPs as far as which FICO version excludes specific revolving tradelines, but at one point, anything north of $70K (single revolver) was excluded in the older versions.   A few that I have above $100K were excluded the last time I checked. 

I should be so cursed

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 20
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I can confirm that my $50k Delta Reserve is still completely factored in.  There's a lot going on with my balances and profile, but I'm trying to figure out if $99.9k and $90k BOA cards are factoring in or not, but it'll be a few months before I can confirm for sure.

I just did the math on my reported balances, with my $75k BOA limit as well to be sure.  I'm confident my BOA is still factored in, otherwise my numbers would be drastically different as to what's reported currently to the 3 bureaus.  

Message 6 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Cred4All wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I just did the math on my reported balances, with my $75k BOA limit as well to be sure.  I'm confident my BOA is still factored in, otherwise my numbers would be drastically different as to what's reported currently to the 3 bureaus.  

The balances and limits definitely are reported and display on the front-end of whatever you're looking at, but I'm not 100% convinced they still factor into the actual scoring.  I've never been able to time it perfectly when a new large balance posts after being at $0 while other things weren't also changing pretty drastically.  In a perfect world, I could just use a $90k card as my "one" in an All Zero Except One scenario and see if I lose points, but unfortunately I am not in a position to do so.

Edit: It didn't take place in a vacuum as a few other balances changed but due to BT shuffling, this might be a pertinent DP since I didn't lose anything:9D1B39A2-C12E-4E3B-B8D8-A569596011DD.jpeg

Message 7 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Marcos8 wrote:

Hello all. Just inquiring if there is any current info as to credit limits that still count towards revolving utilization? Penfed is offering me another card which I am considering just adding the limit to my current card instead of opening a new one. Any thoughts on what the boundaries are currently? Thanks

With PenFed you don't have to worry about it. The highest card limit they give now is 25k, with a total combined credit card limit cap of 50k. So you won't get anywhere near the stratospheric 50 to 75k limits that MIGHT not count for utilization [nobody here seems to really know where that stratosphere begins].

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s my understanding EX2 has a cut off somewhere between $26,000-$29000. And that EQ5 and TU4 cut off at $35,000.

@FinStar Which older versions have a cut off at $70,000?
Message 9 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
It’s my understanding EX2 has a cut off somewhere between $26,000-$29000. And that EQ5 and TU4 cut off at $35,000.

@FinStarWhich older versions have a cut off at $70,000?

Honestly, I can't recall exactly since it's been a while back.  But, I think there was a thread about that topic that either CreditGuyinDixie and/or Thomas_Thumb had discussed. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.