Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lose points when a card is used

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lose points when a card is used

I hope this is the right place for this. If not I apologize. I have a question. Do you lose points every time you use a card that has not been used in a few months? I used one that I had not used in about 3 months and now I have lost 3 points. Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry for any typos I am on my phone. Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Lose points when a card is used

Greetings,

This comes up here often.

You basically received 2 alerts, one for the card that hadn't been used and another for the point drop.

The alert for the point drop, is not necessarily connected to the other alert.

It's quite confusing. 

christmas-smiley-052.gif

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Greetings,

This comes up here often.

You basically received 2 alerts, one for the card that hadn't been used and another for the point drop.

The alert for the point drop, is not necessarily connected to the other alert.

It's quite confusing. 

christmas-smiley-052.gif

Thanks fror the explanation.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are you getting your score from and why do you think that using a card lowered your score rather than something else?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Where are you getting your score from and why do you think that using a card lowered your score rather than something else?

I am getting the scores from MyFico and I have not done anything else to cause it that I can think of.  Utilization is the same or lower.  No new apps (reports are frozen). 

Message 5 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think the inactive/active alert has to do with myFICO's fraud and identity theft protection rather than scoring or credit. It just happens that alerts produce updated scores.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I think the inactive/active alert has to do with myFICO's fraud and identity theft protection rather than scoring or credit. It just happens that alerts produce updated scores.

Thanks for the reply and they help!

Message 7 of 9
Time2letgo
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I hope this is the right place for this. If not I apologize. I have a question. Do you lose points every time you use a card that has not been used in a few months? I used one that I had not used in about 3 months and now I have lost 3 points. Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry for any typos I am on my phone. Thanks for any help.

That has happened to me before. I have a habit of paying off some cards just before the statement cut, but every few months or so I let balances report. It usually takes 3 points off when it does.

Work In Progress:
Current Revolving Personal CL: ~$466K

Current Revolving Business CL: ~$107K

Gardening Until Dec 2019 or Until All Scores are back above 800s

Message 8 of 9
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

That's right.The cc account that is considered inactive have now posted a current  balance and now the cc is considered active by the Fico scoring model.What has really happened is you have too many cc account balances reported to your cr and now you have not scored the most credit score points for that measurement.All you have is charge a very small  balance on one cc,let report next month,all other cc's at zero.You will earn the most credit score points.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.