Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass. SOL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mass. SOL

The SOL in Mass. is 6 yrs., and if I am right, no one can come after you for the monies owed. Right? Are there any accts that this does not apply to? My issue is a restitution that went through the court system. Its not paid off but I haven't paid on it for over 6 yrs. It just resurfaced and they are trying to get paid. Can I cite the SOL for this? Can someone please advise? 
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mass. SOL

Court Judgements can stay on your report indefinately until paid in full. There is no SOL except in California for any court judgements.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

once the judgement is settled PIF does it drop off, or must it age off 7yrs?
Message 3 of 7
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Its 7 years from date paid.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a misunderstanding as to what I'm looking for. The court judgement is over 6 yrs. old and they are trying to get paid. I'm asking "Can they demand payment after the six yrs. or do they eat it?"      Staying on my credit report is not the issue, I'm trying not to have to pay it.  Thank you 
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
There is a misunderstanding as to what I'm looking for. The court judgement is over 6 yrs. old and they are trying to get paid. I'm asking "Can they demand payment after the six yrs. or do they eat it?" Staying on my credit report is not the issue, I'm trying not to have to pay it. Thank you

They can continue to collect indefinitely.
This will not just go away.
As this is a Judgment they have other rights to attempt to collect the debt, such as garnishing wages, cleaning out bank accounts, placing liens on real property etc.

This is a serious legal matter and I am NOT a lawyer.
Message 6 of 7
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

The only state with a SOL of Judgement collections is California and theirs is 15 year. The other 49 states can attempt to collect on Judgements until they are paid in full. I would suggest talking to these people and see if you can come to terms on a settlement to get it paid and done with.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.