Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage FICO score increase advice

tag
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

Mortgage FICO score increase advice

Hi,  

I have a question for the myFICO community.  I used to frequent these boards religiously back in 2012-2015.  I am back with a question for my sister who is wanting to purchase a house.  She is currently a homeowner and is putting her home on the market.  I haven't been paying much attention to FICO scores for the last few years, and my knowledge is now a bit rusty.  :-) 

The issue is her mid score is 630 and she wants to be at 680 or higher.  On her credit file, the only thing I can see is her revolving ultilization is high.  She doesn't have any collections, no charge-offs.  The only baddie on her report is 1 late payment (January 2017).

Her total revolving debt is $58k, and her aggregate utlilization is currently at 75%.  She has $32k available to pay towards credit cards, but her concern is how best to do it.  Should she put it all towards the revolving debt, or should she take some of the funds and continue padding her savings.  We have been scouring the myFICO boards, but it seems like the mortgage FICO scoring is still a huge mystery. 

My question is if she puts the full $32k to her revolving debt, do you think she can get at least a 50 point bump 680 (her mid score is EQ)?  I've been reading the there are thresholds for FICO8.  Should we use those thresholds as a guide and once we calculate total ultilization down below 48%, take after is left and keep it in savings?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Mortgage score increase

@DSTforlife wrote:

I posted this in another myfico discussion board, but I thought I'd post it here also in case there are mortgage score experts here to help.

I have a question for the myFICO community.  I used to frequent these boards religiously back in 2012-2015.  I am back with a question for my sister who is wanting to purchase a house.  She is currently a homeowner and is putting her home on the market.  I haven't been paying much attention to FICO scores for the last few years, and my knowledge is now a bit rusty.  :-) 

The issue is her mid score is 630 and she wants to be at 680 or higher.  On her credit file, the only thing I can see is her revolving ultilization is high.  She doesn't have any collections, no charge-offs.  The only baddie on her report is 1 late payment (January 2017).

Her total revolving debt is $58k, and her aggregate utlilization is currently at 75%.  She has $32k available to pay towards credit cards, but her concern is how best to do it.  Should she put it all towards the revolving debt, or should she take some of the funds and continue padding her savings.  We have been scouring the myFICO boards, but it seems like the mortgage FICO scoring is still a huge mystery. 

My question is if she puts the full $32k to her revolving debt, do you think she can get at least a 50 point bump 680 (her mid score is EQ)?  I've been reading that there are thresholds for FICO8.  Should we use those thresholds as a guide and once we calculate total ultilization down below 48%, take after is left and keep it in savings?

Everything else is on point with her...DTI, work history, taxes, etc.  It's just that darn score she's trying to maximize.

So FYI, cross posting the same thing is against the TOS of the forum so a mod will be combining your threads.

You need to provide specifics, as in:

Card 1 $Xxxx/$Yyyy

Card 2...

Both individual utilization and overall utilization is factored into scoring.

Mortgage scores respond favorably to accounts with $0 balance. 

Message 2 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Mortgage FICO score increase advice

@DSTforlife wrote:

Hi,  

My question is if she puts the full $32k to her revolving debt, do you think she can get at least a 50 point bump 680 (her mid score is EQ)?  I've been reading the there are thresholds for FICO8.  Should we use those thresholds as a guide and once we calculate total ultilization down below 48%, take after is left and keep it in savings?

She should apply it to her revolving debt. That will really light a fire under her mortgage scores.

She'll save a lot of money in interest with higher scores.

She should get everything down to 48% or less, then 28% or less, and then start zeroing out accounts.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 3 of 22
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

sorry about that....i didn't realize it was a violation.  It's been so long since i've been on the myfico boards.  :-)

i will have to ask her for balance details.  i don't have that info in front of me and i can't remember it.  however, she has about 8 tradelines and we talked about her having a least half of them at zero balance. 

Message 4 of 22
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

thank you for your reply.  do you mean start by paying down each individual trade line to 48% or the aggregate total down to 48%?  when she and i were talking about how to do it, i recommended that she gets as many individual accounts to zero as possible.  she has a couple with higher balances, and i recommended that she not pay those off, but pay it down somewhat (i'm not sure if it would be below 48%).  she has about 8 in total, and we talked about getting half of them down to zero and leaving balances on the other half.   this is the stuff i'm fuzzy on. 

Unfortunately, I don't have have her balance to limit details in front of me and i can't remember them.  I'll try to get that info from her and post later.  

Message 5 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DSTforlife wrote:

thank you for your reply.  do you mean start by paying down each individual trade line to 48% or the aggregate total down to 48%? 

Each individual account.

when she and i were talking about how to do it, i recommended that she gets as many individual accounts to zero as possible. 

I used to advise that, too, but then through testing of my accounts -- which was corroborated by several other forum members -- we learned that getting rid of 50% or higher balances gave mortgage scores an even more significant boost.

she has a couple with higher balances, and i recommended that she not pay those off, but pay it down somewhat (i'm not sure if it would be below 48%).  she has about 8 in total, and we talked about getting half of them down to zero and leaving balances on the other half.   this is the stuff i'm fuzzy on. 

Unfortunately, I don't have have her balance to limit details in front of me and i can't remember them.  I'll try to get that info from her and post later.  

She should first get each account down to 48% or less.  Then she should get each account down to 28% or less.  Then, if she has anything left, she should start zeroing them out.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 6 of 22
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

perfect.  thank you for the clarification!

Message 7 of 22
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Getting each individual revolving account utilization below 49% is an excellent 1st step in boosting mortgage score. After that, I would strongly recommend paying off a couple low balance accounts (assuming she has a couple in this category). Why? - EQ Mortgage score is extraordinarily sensitive to #/% of revolving accounts with a balance.

If 100% of revolvers currently have a balance (say 8 accounts) dropping to 6 accounts with a balance (75%) would have a substantial benefit to score. The improvement would be greater than taking 1 or 2 alternate accounts to under 29% from under 49% IMO. In any case, get all accounts under 49% utilization as a 1st step - or under 48%, as SJ suggested, for an added margin of safety.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 22
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@DSTforlife wrote:

I posted this in another myfico discussion board, but I thought I'd post it here also in case there are mortgage score experts here to help.

My question is if she puts the full $32k to her revolving debt, do you think she can get at least a 50 point bump 680 (her mid score is EQ)?  I've been reading that there are thresholds for FICO8.  Should we use those thresholds as a guide and once we calculate total ultilization down below 48%, take after is left and keep it in savings?

Everything else is on point with her...DTI, work history, taxes, etc.  It's just that darn score she's trying to maximize.

As a lender, I would run a credit simulator to come up with the best plan of action to raise the scores. 

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 9 of 22
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

thank you!

She sent me her info last night, and I took the time to create a spreadsheet showing how best to optimize her pay-downs.  This is what I came up with.  I took both of your advice and brought all of her cards down to 48% and then with what was left over, brought other cards directly to zero.  I skipped over 28% altogther since zero balances are more important.  Here is what i came up with.  She has 14 tradelines....not sure where I got 8 from. Smiley Happy   But, anywho, this gets her down to having 8 tradelines with balances at 48% or lower, and 6 with zero balance.  do you think this is the right approach?

I'm thinking about charging her a credit analysis fee for my troubles.  Smiley Very Happy

Trade Linecredit limit48% balancecurrent balanceamount to pay to get to 48%balance leftadditional amount to pay to get to 0TOTAL TO PAY ON EACH CARDFINAL BALANCE LEFT% Util
TL 1           2,500         1,200           1,526              326         1,200        326      1,20048.0%
TL 2           2,000             960           1,757              797             960               960   1,757             -  0.0%
TL 3           4,500         2,160           4,026          1,866         2,160    1,866      2,16048.0%
TL 4           7,500         3,600           5,887          2,287         3,600    2,287      3,60048.0%
TL 5         16,000         7,680         14,031          6,351         7,680    6,351      7,68048.0%
TL 6           5,500         2,640           4,400          1,760         2,640    1,760      2,64048.0%
TL 7           9,000         4,320           7,800          3,480         4,320           4,320   7,800             -  0.0%
TL 8           2,600         1,248           1,600              352         1,248           1,248   1,600             -  0.0%
TL 9           2,500         1,200           1,058                 -           1,058            -        1,05842.3%
TL 10           5,400         2,592           2,054                 -           2,054            -        2,05438.0%
TL 11         10,000         4,800           9,160          4,360         4,800    4,360      4,80048.0%
TL 12           6,000         2,880           5,641          2,761         2,880           2,880   5,641             -  0.0%
TL 13           1,100             528                  -                   -               -               -  0.0%
TL 14           3,900         1,872                  -                   -               -               -  0.0%

TOTAL

78,500       37,680         58,940        24,340       34,600           9,408        33,748    25,19232.1%
% utilization (aggregate)  75.08% 44.08%  32.09% 
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.