Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Scores: accounts with Balances: 6/23/19 update

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Mortgage Scores: accounts with Balances: 6/23/19 update

Datapoints linked in this post, but over this journey I moved from 771 to 784.  Oh whee, broke my goal score for the end of this year too, I be pretty on Experian!

Using the first one as an example, 6/18 is the ratio of accounts with balances to open accounts so it is original ratio -> new ratio = original score -> new score 

EX FICO 2: 6/18 -> 5/18 = 771->772 

This one is so small as to be a near rounding error, will see if I can get a confirmation next month with accounts report again but 771->772 which is a big /yawn.

Edit: further update, this was so small and no reason code shifts that I am admittedly a tiny bit skeptical.

EX FICO 2: 5/18  -> 4/18 = 772->777

No skepticism here, Accounts with Balances went from #3 to #4 on the reason code list.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/EX-FICO-2-Accounts-with-Balances-scoring...

EX FICO 2: 4/18 -> 3/18 = 777 -> 784 

Good datapoint here too, Accounts with Balances dropped off the reason code list altogether.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/EX-FICO-2-Accounts-with-Balances-scoring...

EX FICO 2: 3/19 -> 4/19 = 777 -> 770 

Good datapoint here too, Accounts with Balances came back in the #4 slot on the EX FICO 2 reason code list.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Mortgage-Scores-accounts-with-Balances-5...

EX FICO 2: 3/20 -> 6/20 with all steps

Confirmed the preceding datapoints, identical score shifts too.  Note same based on number of balances as previously now with 20 accounts, seems too awkward to be percentage based on this particular score, but on the FICO 04 models it may have changed.

1/18 revolvers, 3/20 accounts EX FICO 2 = 777.

2/18 revolvers, 4/20 accounts EX FICO 2 = 770.

3/18 revolvers, 5/20 accounts EX FICO 2 = 765.

4/18 revolvers, 6/20 accounts EX FICO 2 = 764.

Bonus EQ FICO 5 datapoint:

Bonus TU FICO 4 datapoint:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Mortgage-Scores-accounts-with-Balances-5...

        
46 REPLIES 46
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: LOL EX FICO 2 +1 gain, 6/18 -> 5/18 accounts with balance

@Revelate wrote:

This one is so small as to be a near rounding error, will see if I can get a confirmation next month with accounts report again but 771->772 which is a big /yawn.

In my profile 40% of accounts with balances seemed to be a major FICO 2 threshold, worth 11 points. So maybe 30% is another threshold, but minor instead of major.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 47
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Impact on EX Fico 98 (score 2) clearly is influenced by scorecard assignment and presence of recent inquiries under 12 months age. New accounts is different than new inquiries in that the new account places a profile in a "recent new credit" scorecard. 

Last inquiry I had on EX was 2005 for a mortgage and most recent account opening was 2011. I did not see a score drop from 2 of 6 => 3 of 6 => 4 of 6 => 5 of 6. I did see a drop 5 of 6 (83%) => 6 of 6 (100%). That drop was 5 points, 837 => 832. No change in EX Fico 8 - ever.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Impact on EX Fico 98 (score 2) clearly is influenced by scorecard assignment and presence of recent inquiries under 12 months age. New accounts is different than new inquiries in that the new account places a profile in a "recent new credit" scorecard. 

Last inquiry I had on EX was 2005 for a mortgage and most recent account opening was 2011. I did not see a score drop from 2 of 6 => 3 of 6 => 4 of 6 => 5 of 6. I did see a drop 5 of 6 (83%) => 6 of 6 (100%). That drop was 5 points, 837 => 832. No change in EX Fico 8 - ever.

Nod.  FICO 8 buffer though, I can reliably get EX FICO 8 to move if I go over 50% revolvers reporting a balance regardless of scorecard I have been in (derogatory or clean).

4 inquiries

AOYA 4m

AOOA 10 y 11 m

AAOA 4 y 11 m

Clean file other than a CFA which pretty sure doesn't segment.

Huh that's a little irritating from testing purposes now that I look at it with those two age metrics synced for aging.

        
Message 4 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Nod.  FICO 8 buffer though, I can reliably get EX FICO 8 to move if I go over 50% revolvers reporting a balance regardless of scorecard I have been in (derogatory or clean).

My experience mirrors TTs regarding lack of movement with EX FICO 8 regardless of my number of accounts with balances.  I also did this testing when my EX FICO 8 score at AZEO was not yet capped at 850 (I believe it was 847) so in my case top end buffer wasn't a variable.

There must be another factor possibly unrelated specifically to scorecard assignment at play based on conflicting data regarding this subject.  Perhaps something signal strength related based on some sort of profile criteria?

Message 5 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

My experience mirrors TTs regarding lack of movement with EX FICO 8 regardless of my number of accounts with balances.  I also did this testing when my EX FICO 8 score at AZEO was not yet capped at 850 (I believe it was 847) so in my case top end buffer wasn't a variable.

There must be another factor possibly unrelated specifically to scorecard assignment at play based on conflicting data regarding this subject.  Perhaps something signal strength related based on some sort of profile criteria?

Not sure, both I and Yes It's Me and a bunch of other people hit the 50% metric and we covered a bunch of different scorecards over time and with such a wide spread it just seems statistically unlikely.

This should be reasonably easy to test frankly with daily pulls, happy to rerun it after I see if I can get any better optimization metrics on FICO 2 which I just care about more hah.

Actually huh, what's your oldest account BBS?  I know TT's is silly long, and his new accounts are basically zero in 2 years or whatever, maybe it's just a different age metric than the new accounts scorecard?

        
Message 6 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Actually huh, what's your oldest account BBS?  I know TT's is silly long, and his new accounts are basically zero in 2 years or whatever, maybe it's just a different age metric than the new accounts scorecard?

My AoOA is a hair over 18 years currently, but was 17.5 years or so at the time I tested number of accounts with balances.  I wonder if AoYA could factor in at all, or perhaps the presence of inquiries within a certain time frame.  This comes to mind after having that discussion last week regarding the presence of an inquiry in the last 12 months making mortgage scores more sensitive to number of accounts with balances [relative to someone that doesn't have any].

Message 7 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Update, this is more like it.

Paid off one of the Chase cards, took open accounts with balances down from 5/18 to 4/18 and got +5 points 772->777.

27.7% -> 22.2% accounts with balances.  Probably a line at 25% aka 1/4 though I can't currently get a better number than that... have the Marriot card which should report next month maybe I can improve resolution with 19 accounts.  Sadly it looks like there's one more line because while I got a reason code shift, it did not drop off entirely.

Accounts with Balances went from #3 to #4 so I'm pretty confident in this datapoint.

Need to pay off the CSR to get to 3/18, think I have enough cash in the account after kicking 4k to the auto loan to cover that but need to let the pending charges clear first so that I can get it to $0.  That is as far as I can take this exercise though anytime in the near future and I'm not really keen on the idea of picking up another random credit card or two to be able to concretely test 10%.

Let's hope 3/18 is fully optimized with a line at 20% or something.  Should be able to get an EQ FICO 5 datapoint from DCU before end of the month too, haven't had anything happen to EQ this month except balance twiddling so should be clean.

        
Message 8 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: LOL EX FICO 2 +1 gain, 6/18 -> 5/18 , +5 5/18->4/18 accounts with balance

EQ FICO 5 datapoint.

Balances/Accounts

7/18 -> 4/18 = 726 -> 734

        
Message 9 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: LOL EX FICO 2 +1 gain, 6/18 -> 5/18 , +5 5/18->4/18 accounts with balance

EQ FICO 5 datapoint.

Balances/Accounts

7/18 -> 4/18 = 726 -> 734

        
Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.