My score dropped by 38. Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score dropped by 38. Why?

I got alerts from my FICO saying the following:

- A new collection was added to your credit report
- An increase in past due amounts
- The total balance on all of your personal finance accounts has increased by $22,933. This applies to the sum of all personal finance balances.
- Your score has decreased from 591 to 553.

The new collection is listed as Ascendium (which is the student loan company that took my loans after they were defaulted even though they were not late). These 10 loans have been on my credit report since 10/2018, but now it lists 5/7/2019 as the date for the collections. Instead of being listed as student loans they are now listed as “other” and the remark says in collections. This was after my dispute with them closed and the results were only to wrongly add a year to the open date of the loan. These changes happened for no reason that I can see, except that maybe they are mad I reported them to the CFPB.

What can I do?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My score dropped by 38. Why?

did the bad loans get sold to another company ? need more background info on the dispute..

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. Well yes. Until 10/2018 they were with Navient when they decided that I hadn’t paid in almost a year, despite my being on an approved IBR with a payment of $0. Those Navient loans closed and Ascendium took over with new loans.

Ascendium took over in 10/2018 (though now my report claims wrongly 10/2017). They have been on my credit report since that time. The only changes are now the loans say the collection started 5/7/2019 instead of 10/2018, and the loan type is now apparently personal finance instead of student loans.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and now they took off the payments applied in February (my tax refund offset) and the first rehab payment that they had listed as 4/15/2019, so it looks like I’m not paying.

EDit to add: I just checked the credit report TU sent me following my dispute with Ascendium. It was printed 5/8/2019. The changes today indicate the account went into collections 5/7/2019, but that is definitely not what is written on that credit report from TU. It has the original date. This is so frustrating.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.