Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My score dropped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score dropped

Today I received a email from score watch stating that my credit score had droped 125 points!!  My score went from 635 to 502.  I'm considering getting my husband to add me to five of his credit cards as a joint account holder.  Will this help increase my score? 
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: My score dropped

takingachance wrote:
Today I received a email from score watch stating that my credit score had droped 125 points!!  My score went from 635 to 502.  I'm considering getting my husband to add me to five of his credit cards as a joint account holder.  Will this help increase my score? 

Do you know why your score dropped?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't know why.  I contacted exeperian and transunion about disputing a judgement that has been on my account for over a year that was paid and was not suppose to be a judgement.  Other than that nothing in my current situation has changed. 
Message 3 of 9
dizzier
Established Contributor

you had better pull all of your credit reports and check them. you don't just lose over 100 points for nothing. there is a reason.

maybe the judgment was verified as unpaid or dated for this month who knows, but we can't help you figure out anything until you tell us what changed.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

AU might help in various ways, but it's far more important now to find out why the score dropped. 125 points is something huge.

What did it say when you checked the alert on ScoreWatch?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with dizzier. A 125 point drop for no apparent reason, is certainly justification for pulling all 3 cr's. Something's going on and you need to know.
Message 6 of 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

chance...........sounds like you may have experienced a fractured report. I went through a similar experience with EQ a few months ago, when I lost 175 points overnight for no reason. A couple of days later it returned to normal. A csr told me she thought my file had been "fractured" - meaning (evidently) my file had been spilt into two parts. No doubt, by one of their programming geniuses.   

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The other term you'll see for this is "split file", and it seems to be an EQ problem. It can happen with frequent report pulls, although I don't know if it's only from pulling the real thing directly from EQ, or from pulling through a credit monitoring service.

Anyway, what happens is that some of your accounts clump over on one portion and the rest on the other. So you could have all your perfect accounts on one and the awful ones on the other, or have all but one account on one and just one account or another, you name it.

The CRA has to fix it, and they're not exactly swift about it. Also, make sure that you have some printed "before" copies and make sure that all your history re-appears.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Split files also happen with TU. I haven't heard of an EX split though.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.