Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Statement Balance Question

tag
adelpit
Established Member

Negative Statement Balance Question

I have a credit card with a negative balance, and the statement will probably close with a negative balance, because of a sizable refund from a vendor. If it matters, it's on a Chase Amazon card.

Do credit card companies report negative statement balances to FICO? Are negative balances SUBTRACTED from my total utilization for the period?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Negative Statement Balance Question

@adelpit wrote:

I have a credit card with a negative balance, and the statement will probably close with a negative balance, because of a sizable refund from a vendor. If it matters, it's on a Chase Amazon card.

Do credit card companies report negative statement balances to FICO? Are negative balances SUBTRACTED from my total utilization for the period?

No and no. They are simply reported as zero balances.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 33
adelpit
Established Member

Hmmm, not the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks for the quick response!

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also keep in mind that some lenders will actually send you a check for the amount of the negative.  I'm not sure if Chase is one of them (Capital One is, for example) but you may receive a check in the mail.

Message 4 of 33
adelpit
Established Member

True! Synchrony Bank has sent me checks for 11 cents for "rewards" earned on my Walmart credit card!

Message 5 of 33
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

That usually occurs when the credit has been sitting there for 30, 45, 60, 90 days etc... IMO, it is silly for them to send a check out for 11 cents. I guess if people don't cash them and they expire, the bank or company has possibly made money in the process. In either case, to avoid this, just make a purchase with the card. Which is probably the idea also... to get you to swipe and then they make money either way.    🤔

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 6 of 33
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Oh yeah, welcome new member to the forum!!!    😎

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”

Message 7 of 33
adelpit
Established Member

I agree that the idea is to void the "reward" by mailing checks that get lost, tossed or uncashed, though mailing an 11 cent check presumably costs them over 11 cents. Synchrony Bank, Walmart and their infernal IBM cash-registers—a marriage made in hell!

Not to change the subject but, are those little badges at the bottom of many posts here showing credit scores a perk for signing up for a MyFICO package? I need to know because I'm a member of the 800+ club and I'd like to prove it to forum members. I know how I did it, have wisdom to share. My goal being here is credit nirvana—a perfect 850 score.

Message 8 of 33
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

To add a signature just click the link and go from there, but keep in mind that you have to have a certain number of posts and activity to get to be able to add it...   😎

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/m...

Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

For my credit card experiences no negative balance reporting. The bureaus have showed zero.
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.