cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions on increasing score -- Willing to learn if someone is willing to share

tag
itpromike
New Contributor

Newbie Questions on increasing score -- Willing to learn if someone is willing to share

So I'm new around here and I've been reading a bunch of posts and I'm very intrigued to say the least. I figured if I just stopped being a moron like I was when I was younger and just start paying things on time then my score would increase. Well this has paid off some however I didn't realize there were tricks and targeted things you could do to really increase your score. Currently my info of relevance is as follows:

1.) car is paid off

2.) I just sold a house

3.) I just bought a new house (which hasn't been reported yet)

4.) I only have 2 credit cards BoA Visa and Chase Freedom Visa (both with $1000 limits) and they both have a $0 balance

5.) I have a student loan with $9,475.38 left on it

6.) I have second entry for the same student loan (on my Equifax report) that listed me as being 120+ days past due at some point in December of 2012 which isn't true and I've sent Equifax an online dispute several times and each time they come back and say the info is valid... I call Key Bank and they say that they have no record of me being 120+ days past due however there is nothing they can do and I have to work with 'the servicer' of my loan. I call the servicer (AES) and they say there is nothing that they can do because they weren't the ones who reported it. UGH!

My credit scores are listed in my sig below. So what things would you suggest I do to increase my score aside from fixing that erroneous deliquicy which seems impossible?

I've also read on this forum about 'App Sprees'. Is there any benefit to this? Any guidance or help would be appreciated. Thanks Everyone!

Current Score: TransUnion (820) Equifax (818) Experian (823)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Newbie Questions on increasing score -- Willing to learn if someone is willing to share

Dealing with the recent derogatory is the biggest thing.

Beyond that, I'd look at utilization.  You say that you have $0 balances on your cards, but this is not necessarily the same as reported balances.

Assuming these two issues are okay, then I'd look at adding another card at some point, and trying to get CLIs on your existing cards.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.