Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Using Revolving Credit on EX 2: 2 of 4 w/bal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not Using Revolving Credit on EX 2: 2 of 4 w/bal

I have 4 revolving accounts and I wanted 2 of them (AMEX/Discover) to report $0 this month.

The other 2 (CU Mastercard/Citi Costco Visa) are reporting $189 and $1234.

AMEX BCE (not a charge card) finally updated to $0 at Experian and I got "Not Using Revolving Credit" on EX 2 and EX Bankcard 2.

• -2 on EX 2, EX Bankcard 2, and EX Auto 2
  • +2 on EX Bankcard 8
  • +4 on EX FICO 3
  • EX 8 and EX Auto 8 were unchanged

Not Using Revolving Credit with 2 of 4 reporting $1,423

EX 2 Not Using Revolving Credit because $1,423 equals $0 today

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Not Using Revolving Credit on EX 2: 2 of 4 w/bal

Is that the full AZ penalty they gave you on score 2? 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds bogus to me.  Has anyone else seen this with EX2?  When I go from all (7) revolvers with a balance to AZEO my EX2 goes up 5 points. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

Is that the full AZ penalty they gave you on score 2? 

Since I never let all cards report zero for a monthly report, I've only been able to see a temporary AZ EX 2 score when I switched which one of two cards that carried a balance.

That happened in September 2019, and my EX 2 score dropped from 739 to 713: -26 points! So this -2 can't possibly be an All Zero penalty.

I also have the 'Accounts with Balances' reason showing alongside 'Not Using Revolving Credit'.

I feel like I've found a moth in Relay #70 Panel F.

Message 4 of 12
Trudy
Valued Contributor

I have no experience with Amex/Discover but from what I gather as a charge card it is treated differently is some cases .(?).  If this is true it sounds like that difference created the AZ penalty with EX2 models and not the others, although I'd expect more of a penalty from this model.  Surprised EX3 responded positively as it seems to usually double down on 2's penalties in most of my experiences, but not all.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex BCE is not a charge card, it's just a regular revolver.  I suppose it could be reported incorrectly and seen by an algorithm incorrectly as a result, but I would imagine that would be the exception.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trudy wrote:

Surprised EX3 responded positively as it seems to usually double down on 2's penalties in most of my experiences, but not all.

That's been my experience as well. My FICO 3 score dropped -58pts total after adding 2 new cards (2 to 4 cards).

Some for the 2 inquiries, and some more when the 2 new accounts were showing on my file.

All 4 of my cards have the same 'type' listed on all my credit reports: Revolving.

I know they have all counted equally before due to AZEO tests - same point loss and gain when switching which one reported $0.

Even the credit union issued Mastercard. (Some people say CU cards can be treated differently. Not this one.)

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is flat out crazy. Somehow the way those cards are coded has to be wrong in the Experian dataset or they’re using a code that’s recognized differently by the older version. And even though that does not seem like a decent all zero penalty, you do have the reason code for no revolving activity which is usually linked to it. I think I would call Experian and inquire as to why you received that negative reason code when you have revolving balances.

But at the same time going from 3 to 2 would’ve given you points, so that would’ve offset the AZ penalty? Funny how it can count as revolving in one metric and not the other?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That is flat out crazy. Somehow the way those cards are coded has to be wrong in the Experian dataset or they’re using a code that’s recognized differently by the older version.

I went back and double-checked the Account Type and Additional Info in the Experian CMS report. (Identity Works Plus at $14.99 monthly)

Account Type

• AMEX Blue Cash Everyday: Credit Card - Revolving Terms ($0)
  • Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Signature: Credit Card ($1,234)
  • Discover it Cash Back: Credit Card - Revolving Terms ($0)
  • Credit Union Mastercard (PSCU Payment Processor): Credit Card - Revolving Terms ($189)

Additional Info (all 4 cards have the same text)

• Responsibility: Individual
  • Terms: Revolving

Of course, I guess it's possible that the full EX report from ACR could say something different, for the first time ever this month. I doubt it, but I'll pull it anyway.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here’s the problem: what we are seeing is the translated version; we’re not seeing the actual data in the field codes. Even when we pull from ACR, we don’t get the raw data in all the fields; that’s why I’m saying you may need to call because there’s a lot we don’t see.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.