Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Experian score drop

tag
aircobra
Regular Contributor

Odd Experian score drop

So I went to check my Experian report today and for some reason my score dropped 16 points from yesterday. The weird thing is, the only change is one of my cards updated the balance to $0 (was $7). I still have cards reporting balances and those have been that way for over a week without any change. Seems like a big drop for only a small change to my report.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odd Experian score drop

If you have other cards reporting non-zero balances, something else happened. Look back farther. You may have had some other UTI-related change (or maybe a new account or inquiry?) in the past week that caused the drop. Unless that $7 report pushed you over an aggregate utilization threshold, something else caused the drop.

What are your balances and limits for your other cards?

EDIT - I read that wrong, thinking you went from $0 to $7. Definitely something other than UTI is at play here.
Message 2 of 12
aircobra
Regular Contributor

So, on 8/5 my score was 761. The next day, it dropped to 750 because my US Bank card reported a UTI of 68%. On 8/11 it went up to 754 with the only noticeable difference of a card no longer reporting the $4 balance it had. Then today, it dropped to 738, with the only noticeable difference of the card I mentioned in the OP no longer reporting a balance. Can you be "punished" for letting a card report a high balance for too long? Because that is the only thing I can think of that would be an issue. But my overall UTI has not changed since the 6th (11%, up from 8%).

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 3 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@aircobra wrote:

So, on 8/5 my score was 761. The next day, it dropped to 750 because my US Bank card reported a UTI of 68%. On 8/11 it went up to 754 with the only noticeable difference of a card no longer reporting the $4 balance it had. Then today, it dropped to 738, with the only noticeable difference of the card I mentioned in the OP no longer reporting a balance. Can you be "punished" for letting a card report a high balance for too long? Because that is the only thing I can think of that would be an issue. But my overall UTI has not changed since the 6th (11%, up from 8%).

No you can't be.

Something, other than the drop from $7 to $0, must have reported on 8/13 which wasn't there on 8/11. You just have to look harder Smiley Happy

(Some candidates for hard-to-notice events:  new scorable inquiry, past inquiry becoming scorable, old account dropping off of report)

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something else definitely changed on your report and caused the score shift.

Message 5 of 12
aircobra
Regular Contributor

Well, I feel really dumb because I cannot find anything different on my report from the past couple days. I even waited until this morning to see if something got added. Nothing. No negative items, no new inquiries. All balances are the same. I am really confused at this drop.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be something like an old account falling off too.

Message 7 of 12
aircobra
Regular Contributor

11 open accounts, 4 closed accounts. Been that way for 5 months (last time I opened a new account).

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 8 of 12
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Have you signed up for Experian Boost?

Is every account mentioned a revolving account?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 9 of 12
aircobra
Regular Contributor

I signed up about a month or so ago. It didn't boost my score at the time. I removed the 2 accounts reporting, to see if anything would change, and it didn't.

Yes. 7 credit cards. 4 retail cards.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.