cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Credit Models/Scoring System affecting our FICO scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other Credit Models/Scoring System affecting our FICO scores?

I've always wondered if there was something behind the scenes that may directly or indirectly affect our overall FICO scores that's not listed on our CR as an account...

Are there other credit model(s)/scoring system(s) used with regards to payment history, for us folks who are either 'stellar' or in 'the red' for that matter, on rent (sorry I haven't paid rent in decades as I pay mortgage so I don't know), PG&E, garbage bill, auto insurance, cable/sat provider service, TS dues?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Other Credit Models/Scoring System affecting our FICO scores?

You are actually asking two questions.  They are both good questions, but it's important to realize that they are different.  Here are my thoughts (in blue below).

@Anonymous wrote:

Question 1:  I've always wondered if there was something behind the scenes that may directly or indirectly affect our overall FICO scores that's not listed on our CR as an account...

No.  Any FICO score is based solely on the information in your TU, EQ, or EX report.  Furthermore, FICO models ignore some stuff in your report.  For example....

Your zip code.  FICO does not base your score (even in part) on where you live.

CC balances that were reported a few months ago or the history of payment amounts.  These data are called trended data and FICO does not use them in any of its current models (FICO 9 or earlier).  They might be powerful predictors that one can imagine being incorporated into FICO 10 (say) but they have not been used up till now.

There are some things that FICO uses from your reports that are not accounts... e.g. inquires.  But you probably know that.

Question 2:  Are there other credit model(s)/scoring system(s) used with regards to payment history, for us folks who are either 'stellar' or in 'the red' for that matter, on rent (sorry I haven't paid rent in decades as I pay mortgage so I don't know), PG&E, garbage bill, auto insurance, cable/sat provider service, TS dues?

Yes.  There are many scoring systems out there not made by FICO.  The insurance industry uses two I can think of.  The banking industry uses scoring systems based on information in your ChexSystems and EWS reports.  The utilities and telecom industry often use your NCTUE report.  Landlords have reports and scores they run based in part on rental history.  Potential employers use yet other CRAs, some of which collect salary data.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Other Credit Models/Scoring System affecting our FICO scores?

Awesome thanks for the feedback! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.