Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Balance in Full

tag
burin4life
New Contributor

Paid Balance in Full

I just paid my Capital One card balance in full. It shows a zero balance and no mininum payment. My question is. Is it a good thing to pay the whole balance off every month. Will that hurt my FICO Score

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

Re: Paid Balance in Full

@burin4life wrote:

I just paid my Capital One card balance in full. It shows a zero balance and no mininum payment. My question is. Is it a good thing to pay the whole balance off every month. Will that hurt my FICO Score

If you are concerned about your FICO score, it is better actually to have a small balance showing on your statement (1-5% is perfect no more) andt hen immediately pay that off after the card reports to the CRAs. That's going to give you a better score believe it or not than a 0 balance. Apparently it demonstrates you are "using" credit in a way the score creators feel is "responsible" that way though in this case you are just really gaming the system to boost your score.

But since you asked, that's how to do it, if you want max FICO.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paid Balance in Full

Other factors also come into play.

If that is your only revolving account, leaving a reported balance each month will always result in 100% of cards showing a reported balance.  Since FICO also scores percent of revolving with a balance, the loss there might offset whatever FICO does nor does not reward for showing some balance.  Obvioulsy, as the number of revolving accounts increases, the impact of one card decreases, so that the general mantra to have one report makes sense due to the reduced inpact that has on the percent of cards with balances.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.