Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off CC debt (FICO algorithm)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off CC debt (FICO algorithm)?

All,

Is it best to pay off a card prior to statement cut? My score dropped 12 points after reflecting a zero balance. I do use all my cards actively and typically keep a 20$ balance At statement ending. This time, autopay paid it off for me -_-. With that, my score dropped.

Is it because the algorithm is not used to seeing my balance at ‘0’? For years, I’ve never had a zero balance but have been somewhat close. Does the algorithm think my card is closed? And will it go up next month if I pay it off again at statement close? Not sure of the scoring patterns..

Or should I disable autopay and go back to a 20$ balance each month?

I know best practice is to have a 0 balance but continue to actively use the card. To me, I’d rather have my score higher with a 20$ balance (and pay that interest) than have a lower score at 0 balance.

Thoughts?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay off CC debt (FICO algorithm)?

When all cards are reporting $0, you get a 15 point penalty (roughly).  The penalty vanishes when one card reports a positive balance.  The balance can be quite small.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I guess I’ll go back to my old method.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set your autopay to pay the full statement balance, not the full current balance.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know I just realized. My other cards are not zeroed out. I have 45$ on one and 65$ on another card. This was intentional to leave a balance. Strange that my third which reflected zero balance card caused my score to drop.

Also, no other credit reporting changes and I’m floating at 3% util @ 22k CL if matters
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I
Message 6 of 23
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You know I just realized. My other cards are not zeroed out. I have 45$ on one and 65$ on another card. This was intentional to leave a balance. Strange that my third which reflected zero balance card caused my score to drop.

Also, no other credit reporting changes.

The two balances, have they reported to the bureaus yet? Or just will be soon? 

Paying one off and not closing would not result in a score decrease. Other factors would be a cause, we would have to know more about your file and did it affect all 3 bureaus or just one? And which credit monitoring service you are using?

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian app and MyFico.

Yes others reported the balance (~120$ combined).

Very strange. I don’t know if it because I never zero out my balances and this month I did on one acct

Yes nothing has changed on my file. I’ve been actively monitoring it for the past 2 years..
Message 8 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Also, no other credit reporting changes and I’m floating at 3% util @ 22k CL if matters

The score drop was unrelated to the card reporting a zero balance.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing else was added to my report. My installment loans, I still have been paying that down. Nothing different there other than the minimum payments and I still have a way to go.

No new accounts. Only changes are the balances. And as mentioned, in this case one was zeroed out. The other two +/- 10$ balances from the previous month.

That’s why I was questioning the criteria of score changes in relation to consumers paying habits.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.