tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying down card made score go down

I am trying to rebuild my credit so I joined MYFICO and the lerts

Last month my score went down because I charged more then 30% on a new card

So I paid the card in full

It just went down again because the card was reduced by that amount

How does the score go down becasue you pay off the balance ?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying down card made score go down

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

Two questions: are you getting your alerts from Scorewatch?  Secondly, how many cards do you have and do they all report $0?  Well 3, how much drop are we talking about?

In general paying of credit cards is a good thing FICO wise, though if all your cards are at $0, FICO sees that as a straight and non-trivial penalty.  Temporary issue, just let a small balance report on a card next month and the points will come back.  

Regarding the drop, hate to say this but get comfy during your rebuild as there will be a lot of little ups and downs (and some big ones too potentially); don't sweat the short-term small stuff, focus on the long-term goal of building good credit as that's what's important.  Short-term things can generally be addressed by next month, long-term improvement is where the real payoff for the effort is.

        
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Similar problem here so you may have answered it already, Revelate.

My score went up after getting a CLI on my one and only card (from 735 to 750) and now two weeks later, it dropped back to 735, at the same time that I received an alert that my balance was reported as $0. I simply paid my card down, no new statement was cut. Will this fluctuate all the time until I have more cards?

Message 3 of 18
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Similar problem here so you may have answered it already, Revelate.

My score went up after getting a CLI on my one and only card (from 735 to 750) and now two weeks later, it dropped back to 735, at the same time that I received an alert that my balance was reported as $0. I simply paid my card down, no new statement was cut. Will this fluctuate all the time until I have more cards?

Hi there,

Just wanted to jump in and give you an idea as to why this may be happening. When no card reports a balance ($0 balance reported on ALL your cards), FICO scoring model may see this as "not using your credit" and a penalty may ensue. If you have just one card, it is always a good idea to allow it to report 1- 9% balance - but not to exceed the 9% for score optimization purposes.

If you have multiple cards, then I would allow only one of them (take your pick - maybe rotate each month) to report anywhere between 1-9% balance. This seems to be the best optiization method out there.

Hope that helps!

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, IamB2. My issue is that I always let it carry a small balance when the statement was cut but then paid it in full. I actually PIF several times a month to make sure I don't use any money that's not really mine. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I thought "carrying a balance" meant that your card reports some balance when your statement is cut, which is also important beacause of utilization. Am I wrong?

Message 6 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I thought "carrying a balance" meant that your card reports some balance when your statement is cut, which is also important beacause of utilization. Am I wrong?

Carrying a balance is if you don't pay off the statement balance within the grace period and interest starts getting charged: typically used in description over several months.

Reported balances are simply typically what the balance was when the statement gets cut, while that does matter for FICO utilization calculation, it's a different beast: most people outside of myFICO and similar places have a statement cut, and then make some payment amount to the lender - if they're paying-in-full (PIF), that's not carrying a balance... if they're paying less than the statement balance, paying the mininmum as an example, that is carrying a balance.

        
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see, thanks, Revelate. So people here would suggest that I should carry a small balance on at least one card and pay interest on that to maximize my score?

Message 8 of 18
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see, thanks, Revelate. So people here would suggest that I should carry a small balance on at least one card and pay interest on that to maximize my score?

I believe Revelate is stating thathay if you PIF multiple times a month, make sure you leave a small balance (1%-9%) for best utilization. Once the statement cuts it will show your small balance. If you pay that balance in full by the due date you will not accrue any interest.

Message 9 of 18
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

Two questions: are you getting your alerts from Scorewatch?  Secondly, how many cards do you have and do they all report $0?  Well 3, how much drop are we talking about?

In general paying of credit cards is a good thing FICO wise, though if all your cards are at $0, FICO sees that as a straight and non-trivial penalty.  Temporary issue, just let a small balance report on a card next month and the points will come back.  

Regarding the drop, hate to say this but get comfy during your rebuild as there will be a lot of little ups and downs (and some big ones too potentially); don't sweat the short-term small stuff, focus on the long-term goal of building good credit as that's what's important.  Short-term things can generally be addressed by next month, long-term improvement is where the real payoff for the effort is.

I have to agree with you in the rebuilding process there definatley will be ups and downs, Im in the process since 2012 and its been a roller coaster ride for me!! but I do see the end of the tunnel coming by mid 2015 when my baddies will be gone and my inquires stop affecting my score and my AoAa gets a little older.....

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.