Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off loan scoring question

tag
800scoreplease
New Contributor

Paying off loan scoring question

Happy New Year

I've been reading the threads but couldn't find an answer to this.  I know if you have an installment loan that reaches under 8.9% you gain points but when you pay the balance off in full and you lose those points gained and some if it's your only installment loan. I want to confirm that if you have a mortgage too than you are still considred to have an installment loan thus I won't get dinged for no open installment?

I have a student loan original balance $16k I just paid down to $100 to see what points I will gain. I also have a mortgage 1year old so pretty new. My only other debt is a credit card at 70% utilization, practicing AZEO, aggregate utilization 20%. Clean thick file.

Thank you

Starting Score: 727
Current Lowest Score: 820
Goal Lowest Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Paying off loan scoring question

Yes mortgage counts as an installment loan. You should be fine to pay off your student loan in full. Smiley Happy

BTW, keep in mind, installment loans also take into consideration overall outstanding balances versus original balances, so you may not actually see any score boost from paying down the student loan because of your new mortgage which is still almost at full original balance.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You'll gain some points getting that 1 card at least under 28% too.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had a question related to this.  I just paid off my auto loan but still have 4 other loans, one being a mortgage, and my score didn't seem to go up at all.  It seems my score is most sensitive to credit utilization even though I've read that it only comprises 30% of the fico score calculation.  I am planning to pay off 2 more of my loans so that will leave me with one unsecured loan and one mortgage.  I am thinking that now my credit score won't go up that much until I've paid down my utilization on my credit cards.  Is that a correct way of thinking?  If so, why am I not getting more credit for paying down large loans?

Message 4 of 8
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also had a question related to this.  I just paid off my auto loan but still have 4 other loans, one being a mortgage, and my score didn't seem to go up at all.  It seems my score is most sensitive to credit utilization even though I've read that it only comprises 30% of the fico score calculation.  I am planning to pay off 2 more of my loans so that will leave me with one unsecured loan and one mortgage.  I am thinking that now my credit score won't go up that much until I've paid down my utilization on my credit cards.  Is that a correct way of thinking?  If so, why am I not getting more credit for paying down large loans?

Your thinking is fundamentally correct.  FICO cares much more about credit card util than installment util.  As regards large loans, they matter -- just not as much.  Pretty sure that the age of those loans matters at least as much -- i.e. - recency hurts.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@800scoreplease wrote:

Happy New Year

I've been reading the threads but couldn't find an answer to this.  I know if you have an installment loan that reaches under 8.9% you gain points but when you pay the balance off in full and you lose those points gained and some if it's your only installment loan. I want to confirm that if you have a mortgage too than you are still considred to have an installment loan thus I won't get dinged for no open installment?

I have a student loan original balance $16k I just paid down to $100 to see what points I will gain. I also have a mortgage 1year old so pretty new. My only other debt is a credit card at 70% utilization, practicing AZEO, aggregate utilization 20%. Clean thick file.

Thank you

1. Yes the mortgage counts as an installment loan for credit mix purposes and for purposes of avoiding the no open loan penalty.

2. Your paying down the student loan will have no meaning at all in terms of scoring. Installment loan utilization percentage, which affects some of your FICO scores, is an aggregate factor. Your paying down the student loan will have negligible effect on your aggregate installment loan utilization percentage.

3. If you want to do something for your scores get that 70% account down to 28% or less. Practicing AZEO while having a sore thumb like that account is pretty pointless.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want to help your scores, concentrate on the revolvers.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 8
800scoreplease
New Contributor

Thanks all. I know I'm not seeing any benefit from azeo now but Inhave a plan in place to be at 48% by April and 28% by August so soon to come.  Thank you again for clearing this up for me. 

Starting Score: 727
Current Lowest Score: 820
Goal Lowest Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.