Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment status "description"

tag
Vu
Frequent Contributor

Payment status "description"

Question for the experts:

I have several accounts that are paid after collection/charge-off.  

On Experian and TransUnion, under Payment status, both CRA listed as a Paid/charge-off.  But consistently, under Equifax, it always listed as a charge-off and doesn't mention it's paid.  Would that hurt my score?

Can I contact the Equifax and dispute it as incorrect information?

IMG_0845.PNGIMG_0846.PNGIMG_0847.PNG

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Payment status "description"

Payment Rating status is not the same as current status.

It is a separate coded that is used to record the level of delinquency at the time the debt was paid.

It shows paid or settled and $0 balance for current status and balance.  It is reporting accurately.

Message 2 of 8
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Payment Rating status is not the same as current status.

It is a separate coded that is used to record the level of delinquency at the time the debt was paid.

It shows paid or settled and $0 balance for current status and balance.  It is reporting accurately.

So you were saying that:  "Charge-off $0 balance" is the same as "charge-off/paid $0 balance"?  Or was it that Payment status description really doesn't matter as long as the balance is showing $0?

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, I am not saying that charge-off, $0 balance is always the same as charge-off, paid, $0 balance.

An account can, for example, have a last reported delinquency status of charged-off and also be updated to $0 balance if sold while still unpaid.

However, the posted account summary shows paid for each account.

Thus, it shows that the account had a level of delinquency of charge-off, but was paid, and thus now has no debt balance.

It is accurate.

Message 4 of 8
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

No, I am not saying that charge-off, $0 balance is always the same as charge-off, paid, $0 balance.

An account can, for example, have a last reported delinquency status of charged-off and also be updated to $0 balance if sold while still unpaid.

However, the posted account summary shows paid for each account.

Thus, it shows that the account had a level of delinquency of charge-off, but was paid, and thus now has no debt balance.

It is accurate.

I don't mean to argue.  But from what I am seeing (please see the picture).  On Equifax, I am not seeing anywhere it said the account is paid, it does show the balance is as $0.  On TransUnion, it shows both the account is paid and $0 balance. And then on Experian, it shows the account is paid but not showing the balance.

So, does the $0 balance and charge-off payment status is no worse than $0 balance and paid charge-off?  Also, paid charge-off with no balance showing as on Experian is also the correct way of reporting when not reporting the balance?

IMG_0847.jpg

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am really interested in this answer as well. 8 of my student loans show 120 days in the pay status- although they were PIF after consolidation. They do show a 0 balance, like yours, but the payment status was not updated. Hummmm... I am guessing that is wrong.
Message 6 of 8
Vu
Frequent Contributor

My TransUnion score is about 50 points higher than both Equifax and Experian.  And looking over all my negative accounts.  TransUnion has the most accurate description/code of them all, which is paid charge-off $0 balance.  While Equifax consistently showing charge-off $0 balance, and Experian showing paid charge-off with no balance showing at all.

I am trying to narrow down the culprit that causing the 50 points difference.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed a dispute that payment status was incorrect, with documentation that the loans had been paid in full. We will see where it goes (if anywhere).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.