cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payoff All Debt?

tag
JoeeL

Payoff All Debt?

Hello, just want to start by thanking everyone who chimes in with advice. 

I'm 28 with about $60,000 worth of credit card debt. About 80% of it has come from the last few years, and trying to make it by (like so many others). I have always maintained a 750+ score but with the high utilization rate (90%) my score has dropped to 640-650. Before the NEED to use these cards my balance was never more than 10%. 

Bouncing back from COVID related issues my wife and I have been able to save up enough to pay all of that debt in full. My question is what's the best way to do it? Do I want to pay all of my cards off in one lump sum and go to a $0 balance on everything? Or is there a better strategy to get the most gains of out my score? I've read a few things saying pay it all, but I don't want my limits to dramatically decrease, nor do I want to only obtain a small gain in my score. 

I was good on building my credit to what it was but I feel like I'm "lost" on it now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Payoff All Debt?

Can you share how many credit cards you have and what the approx % utilization is on them?

Also have you had any adverse actions taken against your credit limits / accounts due to the overall high balances?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 16
jcooks
Established Contributor

I would recommend paying it all off, leaving just a small percentage on one card and let that report to maximize your score.  Just prepare yourself for adverse actions in the next couple of billing cycles as lenders may do that after making large payments.  That shouldn't have much of an effect on your score since most will be 0'd out.  After the dust settles, then you can see what would be the next steps based on what happens after that.

Message 3 of 16
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

Pay it off as fast as possible. Any small gain you could make on your score is not worth the intrest in this market. Inflation is rising fast and the markets are correcting, now is not the time to hold on to debt.

Message 4 of 16
JoeeL

Amex Gold 76% - Limit $3000

Amex Blue Cash 89% - Limit $3000

Barclays 88% - Limit $500 

Best Buy Citi 100% - Limit $2600

(43mo 0% left) 

Citi Double Cash 93% - Limit $1450

Citi Rewards + 80% - Limit $6400

Navy Fed Go Rewards 80% - Limit $17500

Navy Fed Amex 73% - Limit $15800

PayPal 90% - Limit $2300 (18mo 0% left)

USAA 90% - Limit $6000

Cap One Quicksilver 0% - Limit $2000

Discover 97% - Limit $2000

Chase 20% Limit $8000
Only limit that has been affected is my Citi Double Rewards card. Limit went from $3200 to $1430 mid last year. Nothing else has been affected. All but my BestBuy card were opened prior to 2018 and have had limits increased due to consistent usage and low utilization rates. This debt is new and not normal for my 12 year credit history. 

Message 5 of 16
RSX
Valued Contributor

pay them all OFF asap

and if this situation does occur again, after you save a $100-$1500, put all future 'savings' against your debt

there is no reason to be $60k in debt, then waiting until you save up the full $60k before you begin paying items off

i would start with all the items 90% and above - pay them today!

then start knocking out the rest tmrw

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 6 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Welcome @JoeeL 

I would place what you have to get any and all accounts down to at least 28%. Then go from there one by one till its all PIF. Any extra place or keep it in savings for any emergencies that pop up and you'll know its there in the bank. Then there wont be any repeat performances. You'll have some back up. JMO.

Message 7 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JoeeL wrote:

Hello, just want to start by thanking everyone who chimes in with advice. 

I'm 28 with about $60,000 worth of credit card debt. About 80% of it has come from the last few years, and trying to make it by (like so many others). I have always maintained a 750+ score but with the high utilization rate (90%) my score has dropped to 640-650. Before the NEED to use these cards my balance was never more than 10%. 

Bouncing back from COVID related issues my wife and I have been able to save up enough to pay all of that debt in full. My question is what's the best way to do it? Do I want to pay all of my cards off in one lump sum and go to a $0 balance on everything? Or is there a better strategy to get the most gains of out my score? I've read a few things saying pay it all, but I don't want my limits to dramatically decrease, nor do I want to only obtain a small gain in my score. 

I was good on building my credit to what it was but I feel like I'm "lost" on it now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Pay it all off as fast as you can.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 16
JoeeL

I guess the consensus is to pay it all off. So that's done. Just submitted payments to everything zeroing them all out. 

Thank you all for your replies. Feels like a dump truck was taken off my shoulders. I just wanted to make sure that a one time lump sum payment as opposed to two 50% payments over two months was the smartest way to play the game that is a credit score. 

Message 9 of 16
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the forums!  You came to the right place, there's a lot of knowledgeable people here who can provide you with excellent advice on your situation (some of whom already have!).

My two cents:  you should pay down as much of your CC debt down immediately while ensuring that you've got sufficient cash on hand for your other recurring bills, living expenses, and -- if possible -- a small cushion against unexpected events.  If you and your wife have got a pot of $100,000 saved up, for instance, it should be no problem to wipe out the whole $60k debt load in a fell swoop... but if you've only got $60k or so to cover the bills, I'd advise a more strategic approach where you pay most of the cards off or down so that you've got your carried balances back down to "healthy" levels right away -- under 30% overall utilization at the very least, with under 10% preferred -- that will bring down your interest charges, reduce your minimum payments and reported DTI, and generally make your revolving debt situation much more manageable while you regroup.  This includes your balances under 0% promos (Best Buy and PayPal) -- you may not be accruing interest on those right now, but the high utilization on those lines is still a red flag to your current lenders.

AA in the form of CL reduction ("balance chasing") is probably inevitable, particularly for your Citi cards as they've already done it once... I imagine their algorithms are just chomping at the bit for you to bring the balances down.  Pay 'em down anyway, and you can focus on rebuilding your credit lines after your situation has improved and you've demonstrated to the lenders your ability to bounce back to responsible credit management.  

[EDIT] Haha, you took care of business while I was writing my reply... good work!  I'll leave my comment up to aid others in similar situations.

CH7 Filed Dec 31, 2018; DC Apr 9, 2019
FICO 8 at DC (Apr 15, 2019):
FICO 8 current (June 29, 2022):
Total revolving credit limit: $149,150 Utilization: 9% Inquiries:

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Who let me back in: CapOne / Citi (Retail) / DSNB / Synchrony / Comenity
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.