cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previous monthly utilization calculation

tag
Zach100

Previous monthly utilization calculation

Does previous monthly utilization matter when calculating current FICO?

1st Example: Starting in January 2020, I have a $5000 Limit and its maxed 100% using a 0% balance transfer, I make the minimums every month. 11 months later in December 2020, I pay off the card or pay it down to 1% utilization. I pull my score in January 2021, not worried about those 11 months. Would the end result be worse than paying it off fully every month like example 2?

2nd Example: I use my card every month, but pay it off before statement cycle. Every month reports paid in full. 

In the end, January 2021 FICO Score, would both examples be the same score or does FICO calucate each month utlization to calculate current FICO?

Hopefully I explained that correctly.

Thank you for you help!

9 REPLIES 9
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Previous monthly utilization calculation

Honestly couldn't really follow your example but utilization is only calculated into your current score with the current reported balances. It doesn't matter what the previous month's utilization was.

Message 2 of 10
Zach100

Thank you Gatorguy. Thats what I needed to know! Since the past doesnt matter, I'm going to max out 3 cards doing 12 to 21 month 0% offers. Then I'll pay them off the last month. Then the score will be back to normal. I just didnt want the FICO Score to be affected from maxing out the cards in the past.

Message 3 of 10
RobynJ
Established Contributor

@Zach100 wrote:

Thank you Gatorguy. Thats what I needed to know! Since the past doesnt matter, I'm going to max out 3 cards doing 12 to 21 month 0% offers. Then I'll pay them off the last month. Then the score will be back to normal. I just didnt want the FICO Score to be affected from maxing out the cards in the past.

This is for Fico 8 and others but I do believe the new Fico 9 and fico10t scores it does. They are not really used so to say but in the future I would say yes it would matter but as of now not really. 

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

/
Message 4 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Zach100 wrote:

Nobody says it doesn't matter; it's just not calculated in utilization.

Maxing out cards could cause other problems for you. I don't recommend it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 10
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica is correct. Maxing out 3 scores will put a sizable dent in your credit score. If you carry a balance with anyone else, those lenders may decrease your credit limits. Even if you don't carry a balance you may see CLDs

Message 6 of 10
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

BT cards often expect you to carry a large balance for a short time, but as previously mentioned it will ding your score until they're paid down and can cause issues with other lenders or cards you may have.  You could try just using 75% of each of the BT cards, that won't look quite as risky as three maxed out cards... But it will still ding your score until they're paid down.

Message 7 of 10
RobynJ
Established Contributor

Just to explain what I was trying to say. Yes I agree it matters for the overall health of your credit but what I meant is the scores wouldn't ding you once it was paid unless it's the newer Fico versions since a score is a snapshot in a timeframe and only scores what it sees at that time. The new trending models will however ding you and continue to for a period of time. 

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

/
Message 8 of 10
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

You're just asking to lose 100+ points ?

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Message 9 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Previous utilization WILL/IS factored into your score on the new FICO 10/10T models.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.