Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding Account Age

tag
doctorofcredit
Valued Member

Question Regarding Account Age

I've seen a lot of advice saying that you shouldn't close accounts unless they are costing you money to increase account age. Let's say I have a credit card that costs $0p/a and I keep the account open. If I don't make any charges to the account will it fall off my credit report after a period of 7 years? If yes, what do I need to ensure that this doesn't happen? 

TU08 - 823
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Cprman
Contributor

Re: Question Regarding Account Age

If the account is open, it won't fall off your credit reports. Just use it every once in a while (every couple of months) as complete inactivity risks that the credit card company may eventually close your account for you. If you do close it (which if it costs you nothing don't) it will stay on your credit report for 10 years and then drop off.

5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Just to clarify, closed accounts may stay up to 10 years.
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Unless the creditor stops reporting, an open account should stay as long as the account is open.  Once closed, it will continue to factor into AAoA.  You just lose the CL factoring into your overall CL.  A closed account, in good standing, can stay for up to 10 years from the date closed.

ETA:  The up to 10 years is an estimate.  It can come off before or stay for years longer.  I have a closed account that has been reporting for over 15 years.

Message 4 of 7
miteky

Message 5 of 7
miteky

I have a credit score of 756 but I got rejected twice for a credit card. My credit history has three if credit. Does score really one of a few considerations ? What can I do?
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you got rejected with a score of 756 you probably have a thin file.  Your score is not the only thing that is looked at.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.