Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about reporting

tag
krit
Regular Contributor

Question about reporting

A TU rep told me that every time a CA sells a debt, the new CA can start reporting it all over again for another seven years, and so on, potentially forever. I always thought that the DOFD determined how long the debt stays on a report. He said that every time the debt sells, it resets the clock. That's incorrect, right? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Question about reporting

@krit wrote:

A TU rep told me that every time a CA sells a debt, the new CA can start reporting it all over again for another seven years, and so on, potentially forever. I always thought that the DOFD determined how long the debt stays on a report. He said that every time the debt sells, it resets the clock. That's incorrect, right? 

I'm sure that's wrong. These people will say anything.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 12
krit
Regular Contributor

Hopefully that's incorrect. I didn't think the debt could be reinserted after seven years. 

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@krit wrote:

I'm sure that's wrong. These people will say anything.

Message 3 of 12
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@krit wrote:

The TU rep is mistaken. 

Don't take credit advice from customer service representatives, in general, they are not trained in credit/scoring; they are trained to perform simple tasks to help callers.

Message 4 of 12
yapsalot
Regular Contributor

I'm certain the rep is wrong. What the rep is describing is called "re-aging" and it is in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the federal law that governs credit reporting.

Yapsalot
Message 5 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

The rep is wrong. While it's true that the new CA *can* re-report their newly acquired debt, that's only IF it's still within the 7 year reporting window. Outside of that, it's illegal and you can easily dispute it off your reports if it does come up.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 12
krit
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's input. I was certain this person was wrong but I started wondering if any new CAs could report since the debt would be new to THEM, even after seven years. I was sure they couldn't, but wanted to be certain. Thanks again. 

Message 7 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@krit wrote:

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's input. I was certain this person was wrong but I started wondering if any new CAs could report since the debt would be new to THEM, even after seven years. I was sure they couldn't, but wanted to be certain. Thanks again. 

What is the DOFD of said debt?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 12
krit
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 DoFD was March, 2015. 

Message 9 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It'll be gone next month. Congrats!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.