Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Equifax score drop for activating inactive account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Random Equifax score drop for activating inactive account

Equifax seems to be the most random out of the three. I have a credit card that I very rarely use but keep open due to lenght of account history and the high credit limit on that card. I actually saw a 10 point increase from Equifax once back in 2015 because I used the card after being inactive for a few months. So I thought I'd try that again and let this card report a $1 balance after being inactive for five months. This time that cost me a 6 point decrease....doing exactly the same thing that gave me a 10 point increase once before. Go figure. My scores are all well in the 800's so no biggie but just wanted to share my experience. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Random Equifax score drop for activating inactive account

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax seems to be the most random out of the three. I have a credit card that I very rarely use but keep open due to lenght of account history and the high credit limit on that card. I actually saw a 10 point increase from Equifax once back in 2015 because I used the card after being inactive for a few months. So I thought I'd try that again and let this card report a $1 balance after being inactive for five months. This time that cost me a 6 point decrease....doing exactly the same thing that gave me a 10 point increase once before. Go figure. My scores are all well in the 800's so no biggie but just wanted to share my experience. 

Because the inactive flag doesn't mean anything, no correlation to FICO... it's just a reason to update the scores.

Same trigger, not the same action in terms of score necessarily.  It is a large and unfortunate source of confusion with the monitoring tools.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.