Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing history of delinquency from credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing history of delinquency from credit report

Hi, I had a question concerning history of deliquency of payments on a credit score and whether they can be removed from a credit score if there is a legitimate excuse for them. When i was in college i was diagnosed with a psychiatric illness and could not work regularly for many years and therefore missed some student loan payments. Due to my condition and also to the fact that i was so young I was unaware that i even owed the payments at the time. Since becoming healthy though i now have a good job and make all my payments on time and have done so for a number of years. My credit is good but i think it could be much better if i could remove those history of delinquencies from my report. Any suggestions. Those delinquencies were also almost a decade ago now. Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing history of delinquency from credit report

Welcome to the forums. If your negatives are over ten years old I am thinking they should have fallen off. Even a Chapter 7 is gone after ten years. Some negatives are gone after seven. I have some 30 day lates due to fall off next year when they are seven. 

Have you pulled a recent credit report? That would be a good place to start. Then come back to the forum and let's talk about it. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed that of the above late payments are over 7 years old that they shouldn't be visible on your CR.
Message 3 of 6
JBJBJB1
Valued Member

Hi:

Student loans are treated like other credit delinquencies and can stay on your credit for up to 7 years and 6 months, unless it is a Perkins Loan, which stays on your credit until it is paid off. 

Best,

Jerusha 

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The basis for dispute of reported delinquencies or for civil action to have the reporting removed is whether or not the delinquency actually occured, and if so, was based on violation of the terms of your account agreement.

Congress has chosen only to exclude legit linquencies based on the factor of passage of time since occurence of the delinquency, and have not provided any exclusion provisions based on personal considerations.  FCRA 605(a).

The personal factors that may have contributed to an otherwise legit delinquency are not, per se, basis for showing that the delinquency did not occur as a matter of fact, and thus and removal prior to the normal credit report exclusion provisions set forth under section 605(a) are totally voluntary on the part of the furnisher.

Credit reporting is voluntary on the part of a furnisher, as is their consideration of personal factors that may have contributed to the lack of timely payment under your account agreement.

You can always contact the creditor and offer an explanation of factors that led to the delinquency, and hope for their good-will removal.

If the delinquencies occured almost a decade ago, then they should likely have become excluded under the statutory time exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a).

More specifically, the date of initial occurence of account delinquency is used for the exclusion of monthly delinquencies, with exclusion of all delinquencies in a common chain after the date of first delinquency becoming excluded no later than 7 years from the date of initial delinquency.  That is based on CRA interpretation of section 605(a)(5).

Exclusion of a reported charge-off must occur no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency.  See FCRA 605(a)(4) as clarified by section 605(c).

What is the initial date of each string of delinquencies that were reported to the CRA?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you pulled a recent credit report? That would be a good place to start. Then come back to the forum and let's talk about it. 

Great advice.  This is 100% what you need to do.  Start by pulling all three of your credit reports.   You can do that for free at annualCreditReport.com.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.