Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCORE DROPPED 17 points?

tag
rchvmz
Frequent Contributor

SCORE DROPPED 17 points?

My EQ went from 703 to 686. None of the others decreased, YET----I closed 2 AF cards, Credit 1 and First Access after getting better no AF cards. Cap 1 and Mercury--both 4k SL. My 13 BK was discharged 12/21. Current Fico 8 scores---EQ 686  TU 660   EX 680. I have my CRA's frozen, my total credit line with 8 cards and one Share loan with Penfed is 20k. My utilization is 3% all cards/share loan are on time. 

Will my EQ score go back up after a few months like regular files do, or will the BK keep it from going back up. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

Re: SCORE DROPPED 17 points?

Your average age of accounts probably took a hit after you closed two cards. That'll recover in time. 

Disregard, I was wrong

TCL: $397.4k
Message 2 of 10
mgood
Valued Contributor

You're better off in the long run since you've shed those particular cards. Just accept the short-term hit and move onwards and upwards. The points will come back.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 771, TU8 766, EX8 775 as of March 28
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE5 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 2/6, 4/12, 6/24
Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Did you go from 6 to 2 cards if I read it correctly? Below 3 cards could be why.

Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@DJRobbieD wrote:

Your average age of accounts probably took a hit after you closed two cards. That'll recover in time. 

AAoA's isnt affected by closed cards in FICO. Counts open and closed. Once the closed cards age off at 10yrs or sooner. Then that effects AAoA's.

Message 5 of 10
rchvmz
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Did you go from 6 to 2 cards if I read it correctly? Below 3 cards could be why.

No, I had 11 cards..actaually closed 3 AF cards, two, credit1(400 cl) and 1st access(400 cl)have shown up closed. The 3rd, Indigo (300 cl) has not shown up closed yet. I closed them when I got Cap 1 and Mercury, both no AF and both 4k SL. Both of them has shown up as neww accounts. Equifax has been the only CRA effected as of today. I have 9 active cards. 

Message 6 of 10
rchvmz
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@DJRobbieD wrote:

AAoA's isnt affected by closed cards in FICO. Counts open and closed. Once the closed cards age off at 10yrs or sooner. Then that effects AAoA's.

The strangest thing just happened. 

I just got an alert from the FICO app. Logged in and my Equifax score was updated, back to 703. The 17 points were added back. It says, that one closed account balance went to 0. So it went down 17 points this morning and back up 17 point just now?...thats wild. Have you seen that before, as I know you been here a good long while

Message 7 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As I said in another thread. MF alerts are whacky at times. Ive had a AZEO card report a high balance. Oh your balance went up by this much. 0 points. Then a couple days later. Oh theres the ding. Point loss. Then back down to usual <8% next month. Your balance went down by this much. Days later my score went up to where it was. So 4 alerts for 2 movements. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 10
mgood
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

As I said in another thread. MF alerts are whacky at times. Ive had a AZEO card report a high balance. Oh your balance went up by this much. 0 points. Then a couple days later. Oh theres the ding. Point loss. Then back down to usual <8% next month. Your balance went down by this much. Days later my score went up to where it was. So 4 alerts for 2 movements. Smiley Very Happy

YES! The good and bad things they report to you in the alerts do NOT necessarily coincide with the change in the scores.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 771, TU8 766, EX8 775 as of March 28
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE5 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 2/6, 4/12, 6/24
Message 9 of 10
rchvmz
Frequent Contributor

So the same thing just happened----EQ went down exactly 17pts AGAIN after AMEX updated the BK discharged on another card--this is weird stuff. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.