cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Drops 34 points after Collection Drop Off!!!

tag
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Score Drops 34 points after Collection Drop Off!!!

So.... Craziest thing happened! Any ideas if it will bounce back? An old collection (7 years) was removed from my report today. I use Credit Check Total and my Experian  8 score dropped 34 points. The only other change to my report was my credit card debt went up $150 but the Utilization rate stayed the same at 35%. I haven't had any new inquiries for 6 months and my score has basically stayed the same for 5 months. Specifics are below.

Yesterday info: 

Revolving Debt: $22,597.00
Revolving Credit Limit: $64,055.00
Revolving Credit Usage: 35%
Real Estate Debt: $0.00
Installment Debt: $15,630.00
Total Debt: $39,474.00
Accounts In Collections: 1
Oldest Account: 16.8 year(s)
Average Account Age: 4.5 year(s)

Today info:
Revolving Debt: $22,449.00
Revolving Credit Limit: $64,055.00
Revolving Credit Usage: 35%
Real Estate Debt: $0.00
Installment Debt: $15,630.00
Total Debt: $38,079.00
Accounts In Collections: 0
Oldest Account: 16.8 year(s)
Average Account Age: 4.5 year(s)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score Drops 34 points after Collection Drop Off!!!

You have been rebucketed into the group of people that have no derogs on file. Overtime you will recover those points and the fastest way to do so now is to pay down your utilization.

Message 2 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Wow. No sense in the bank losing an extra point on your next app, huh? Ridiculous.

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That's a bit strange; is your file utterly clean now other than your revolving debt and possible installment debt ratio?

4 years AAOA it's not hard to hit an 800 on a clean file if prettied up on FICO 8, I certainly wouldn't expect a score in the mid 600's as your signature suggests?

I'd still focus on paying down the revolving debt anyway, unless that's sitting on 0% offers that's more than $4K in interest a year assuming typical compound APR's, yikes!

        
Message 4 of 9
mystikal1
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

You have been rebucketed into the group of people that have no derogs on file. Overtime you will recover those points and the fastest way to do so now is to pay down your utilization.

+1000

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can rebucketing drop you THAT much? The buckets have that much overlap? It would seem to me that an entire bucket would not be much bigger than a 34 point spread! Granted, I can see the current bucket penalizing more for 35% utilization but that seems a little off to me. :/

Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

How can rebucketing drop you THAT much? The buckets have that much overlap? It would seem to me that an entire bucket would not be much bigger than a 34 point spread! Granted, I can see the current bucket penalizing more for 35% utilization but that seems a little off to me. :/

Some buckets are likely 100 or perhaps even 150+ points; it's not a partitioned spectrum, there is a tremendous amount of overlap.

        
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do we have a thread where we have figured the buckets out? All I know is, I think I am languishing near the top of one now.
Message 8 of 9
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So do we have a thread where we have figured the buckets out? All I know is, I think I am languishing near the top of one now.

Just do a search on these boards, as there has been much research on the buckets.  Hope this helps.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.