cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Only Increases When Balances Increase!

tag
adamseve
Established Contributor

Score Only Increases When Balances Increase!

I've noticed that my scores never increase unless my balances increase.  I always PIF before the statement closes on all cards except 2-3 cards.  However, that never increased my score.  It would remain level.

I also noticed that my scores stayed the same even with the addition of more available credit that decreased my utilization.  I'd always lose 5-7 points from the inquiry & new account, but even after a few months my score would remain the same.

I understand about buckets, etc., but none of this makes sense from my personal understanding of the best ways to increase one's score.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Message Edited by adamseve on 10-03-2009 10:53 AM
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Score Only Increases When Balances Increase!

Utilization management is the easiest and fastest way for a consumer to exert a positive influence on their FICO scores (all other things remaining equal). If you decrease your UTIL % and all other things remain equal your FICO score must either stay the same or increase. If you increase your UTIL % and all other things remain equal your FICO score must either stay the same or decrease. If you observe different behavior then all other things have not remained equal. The answer lies in your CBR's. For valid comparison the scores must be FICO's derived from the same CRB's credit report.
Message 2 of 15
adamseve
Established Contributor

So, if I understand you, this is what I got from your comment:

1.  Since the only thing that changed on my reports is either the amount of available credit, decreased utilization, or increased utilization my scores are going to stay the same.  Correct?

My only baddie is a BK7 filed in '04 and discharged in '06.  No other baddies.  I've played with my utilizatiion to see if anything changes even if I let it get close to 30% and as low as 5%...Little to no change.  What can I do to increase my score other than AGE?

I've seen other people's scores be sometimes 25-75 points higher than mine who have way more baddies and similar AAofA, available credit, & utilization.  How can this be?  It's very depressing to work so darn hard after a BK and see that I'm still no where near where others are who's credit is much more marred than my own.

I also noticed that my score was much lower than my Caucasian counterparts whose reports were riddled with recent lates, collections, repos, dismissed BKs, lots of IIB with balances, etc.  Again...I tried to compare apples to apples when I looked at their reports.  How can this be?  I've heard of the theory that certain races receive lower scores than others even when comparing apples to apples.  I  may have proved this theory with my research. 

Has anyone else noticed a correlation in race and score when comparing apples to apples?

Message 3 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

May I ask where you get your scores and what are those scores? No one has been able to pull their own Experian score since mid-February. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myfico. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Equifax score at www.equifax.com and your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com.

I suspect that you already know all this because of your many posts and I apologize if I'm being redundant.

I'll let others with much more experience dissect your concerns.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 4 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@adamseve wrote:

So, if I understand you, this is what I got from your comment:

1.  Since the only thing that changed on my reports is either the amount of available credit, decreased utilization, or increased utilization my scores are going to stay the same.  Correct?

My only baddie is a BK7 filed in '04 and discharged in '06.  No other baddies.  I've played with my utilizatiion to see if anything changes even if I let it get close to 30% and as low as 5%...Little to no change.  What can I do to increase my score other than AGE?

I've seen other people's scores be sometimes 25-75 points higher than mine who have way more baddies and similar AAofA, available credit, & utilization.  How can this be?  It's very depressing to work so darn hard after a BK and see that I'm still no where near where others are who's credit is much more marred than my own.

I also noticed that my score was much lower than my Caucasian counterparts whose reports were riddled with recent lates, collections, repos, dismissed BKs, lots of IIB with balances, etc.  Again...I tried to compare apples to apples when I looked at their reports.  How can this be?  I've heard of the theory that certain races receive lower scores than others even when comparing apples to apples.  I  may have proved this theory with my research. 

Has anyone else noticed a correlation in race and score when comparing apples to apples?

This is not what I said. Rather than repeating myself please go back to my original post and reread it.

You might what to refer to the link below when considering this. Race is not a factor.

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsNotInYourScore.aspx

Message 5 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

OP since you have that BK present don't expect "normal" score changes. I have an older one myself and from what I have observed over the past 2 1/2 years it just doesn't work the same as for those with clean reports. Just keep your balances down and pay on time.
Message 6 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I am in a dirty scoring bucket for EQ and EX FICO scoring (120-day late on one account, 60-day on another, 13 lates overall) and find my scoring still very responsive to UTIL changes. I do think that FICO score changes due to UTIL variation are more muted if you are in a negative scoring bucket, but they do change in the correct direction.
Message 7 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I am in a dirty scoring bucket for EQ and EX FICO scoring (120-day late on one account, 60-day on another, 13 lates overall) and find my scoring still very responsive to UTIL changes. I do think that FICO score changes due to UTIL variation are more muted if you are in a negative scoring bucket, but they do change in the correct direction.

I wouldn't know my utilization hasn't changed in over 2 1/2 years.

Message 8 of 15
adamseve
Established Contributor

creditwherecreditisdue,

The reason why I replied the way I did was to make sure I understood what you were saying.  If you're not willing toclarify what you said why did you respond in the first place?  I'm simply trying to understand what you submitted.  As simple as it may seem to you it may not be that way for someone else.

And as much as you like to believe race is not a factor no one can truly attest to that because no one would admit to it anyway.  How do you explain the difference in scores when comparing apples to apples?  I even had an finance manager take a look at them for me because we were all floored as to WHY the difference.  He couldn't explain it, but he did say that he'd seen it before.

And yes, I read that link as well as other online reports.  Unfortunately, race is a factor in EVERYTHING in the US even if it's not supposed to be, i.e., FICO scores.  Please note that this is MY OPINION, and just elbows & kneecaps we all have one! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
adamseve
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

May I ask where you get your scores and what are those scores? No one has been able to pull their own Experian score since mid-February. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myfico. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Equifax score at www.equifax.com and your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com.

I suspect that you already know all this because of your many posts and I apologize if I'm being redundant.

I'll let others with much more experience dissect your concerns.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

I only pull my scores from myfico.com so I'm sure of my scores and that of those whose reports and scores we pulled to compare.  Thanks for trying to help.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.