Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score went down dramatically

tag
BessTruman
Regular Contributor

Score went down dramatically

I consolidated some debt.   $10,000 worth.   I put it on another credit that gave me a $15,000 credit line.   I thought I was doing a good thing.   I have not made new debt I just moved it all over to one card.  Well...to my surprise my credit score went down 50pts.   It has crept back up a bit but it was at 780 now it's hovering around 720.   My util is 21%.    What's the deal?   I have no late payments on my credit and no bankruptcies....nothing.    I just moved some debt around.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Score went down dramatically

May be it is because 1. you opened new account and it will take few months for the new account to age and scores gain; 2. The accounts you paid off might not be reporting $0 Balance yet. I defer to exports.

Message 2 of 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

To add to the above already mentioned the utilization on the one card holding all your credit card debt is now at 66% which is getting up there. I don't know how the debt was spread out among your cards before the consolidation but having it be that high is going to cause you to lose some points as well. I still think you did the right thing if the other cards were interest-bearing cards while the current one is running a 0% BT intro offer, better to save money than your scores right now

Message 3 of 7
difringe
Established Contributor

@BessTruman wrote:

I consolidated some debt.   $10,000 worth.   I put it on another credit that gave me a $15,000 credit line.   I thought I was doing a good thing.   I have not made new debt I just moved it all over to one card.  Well...to my surprise my credit score went down 50pts.   It has crept back up a bit but it was at 780 now it's hovering around 720.   My util is 21%.    What's the deal?   I have no late payments on my credit and no bankruptcies....nothing.    I just moved some debt around.

Just to add one more thing, credit scores are kinda weird in that if you have a derog (in your case, it'd be the high usage on the one balance transfer card) it hits your score harder than if you have multiple derogs (i'm assuming you had that 10k debt split among multiple accounts). you see it with ppl who already have late payments; their scores can handle another late a lot easier than those that have no late payments at all

Message 4 of 7
stw715
Regular Contributor

Just 9 days ago you posted in your FNBO approval thread that your scores was already 730~ish but only with 15% uti, so when did your score actually dropped 50 points and what other credit activities besides moving some debt around. Not saying they are the cause of your score drop but it would be hard for people to offer much advice if you don't let them see the whole picture.

Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

To add to the above already mentioned the utilization on the one card holding all your credit card debt is now at 66% which is getting up there. I don't know how the debt was spread out among your cards before the consolidation but having it be that high is going to cause you to lose some points as well. I still think you did the right thing if the other cards were interest-bearing cards while the current one is running a 0% BT intro offer, better to save money than your scores right now

+1 Just to add as we say around these parts. Finances over FICO.

Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BessTruman wrote:

High utilization on the account with $10k balance

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.