Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Card Vs Aggregate Util

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Single Card Vs Aggregate Util

@Caught750 wrote:
I could handle 2 to 4, I just don’t wanna see a 10 point drop. That’s crazy that you only got 1 point back. I don’t plan to app for anything for a little while (like a year)

Every profile is different.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:
The question is, what kinda damage am I looking at if I allow one card to report say 31% Util while aggregate Util stays at maybe 4%?

My guess would be 0-5 points, depending on your profile. 

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:
I could handle 2 to 4, I just don’t wanna see a 10 point drop. That’s crazy that you only got 1 point back. I don’t plan to app for anything for a little while (like a year)

Can you explain a little more?  If you won't be applying for anything for the next year, why would a 10-point drop be a problem?   Especially since you can fix that problem at the end of your gardening phase by implementing AZEO with a small positive balance.

Message 13 of 20
Caught750
Valued Contributor

It’s more of a psychological thing, I think. I fought hard to get my scores up so I don’t wanna see em drop again. I know it’s an easy fix and if I find it worth going over on Util I will. Just a mental game.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can appreciate that line of thinking - same boat I’m in. I don’t want to see drops for any reason, and even $300-500 CLIs are still a small victory that I value.
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:
It’s more of a psychological thing, I think. I fought hard to get my scores up so I don’t wanna see em drop again. I know it’s an easy fix and if I find it worth going over on Util I will. Just a mental game.

I can understand where you're coming from with that, as I'm that way as well the majority of the time.  Coming from a place of low 600's a few years back makes me want to see nothing less than an 850.  Recenty though, I'm OK with not micromanaging AZEO and/or worrying about my reported balances much, unless I'm doing testing of course.  Scores in the 830-840 are more than adequate and I'm just 30 days/AZEO away from pinning them again if I'd like. 

Message 16 of 20
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Agreed, I’ve relaxed a lot as I’ve gotten close to the 700s. At 750 or so I won’t worry about 5-15 points. I’ve allowed balances to report naturally, and on 2-4 cards/month, with no consequence so far. Each card has stayed under 28.9% and aggregate has stayed at about 4%.

The thing is, right now, I want to focus on 2 cards. I want to use Altitude and CSP heavily (PIF after statement). BBVA will see isolated spend for the 0% until next year. Altitude and CSP fit my spend very well and offer the rewards I find most useful. CSP would stay under 28.9 and aggregate would stay about the same. The issues is, however, that if USB doesn’t increase my Altitude SL I may exceed 28.9 on that using it naturally.

Knowing that I can pay it off quickly and get the points back is helpful for sure! I can also start EEing EX (for some reason only TU and EX get any use fo me) in May for a few points and then by August I’ll be well over 710.

I just don’t want a set back before my scores start climbing.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:
At 750 or so I won’t worry about 5-15 points.

I hope that's the case for you.  I told myself that a lot... "once I get to X, I'll be good..."  Every time I got to X, X then increased Smiley Wink  The sticks get moved and you start with a new set of downs.  The dangling carrot never seems to get any closer.  That was my experience anyway, all the way up to 850.  Then, at 850, it was something I felt I needed to maintain.  Not anymore, though.  I don't have the patience and desire to micromanage like I used to.  I hope when you get to 750 you can ease off the gas pedal.   

Message 18 of 20
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Yea I can see that being an issue for me as well. Nothing short of perfection is good enough. I do view a ridiculously good score as something to be used because what’s the point otherwise but I can see myself getting really mad if I had an 850 and it dropped.
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I've often thought about doing some bonus-chasing, as it's something I've never done and I have the scores that would allow me to grab a bunch of SUBs and still stay in a comfortable place... but I just don't want to reset that AoYA clock which will be hitting 2 years in 4 weeks.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.