Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speculation Why FICO Score Increases In Chunks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Speculation Why FICO Score Increases In Chunks

An earlier commenter referred to Tin Foil Hats.  In case some of our readers don't know what he meant, here is a link to shed some light:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous...info is pulled from FICO (not credit bureau). Then, the "culprit" would be FICO...

But, that's not how it works.  

"FICO" doesn't hold information.  The credit bureaus do.  FICO creates the algorithm which is used to generate a score off of that information.  For members on here that have tracked their credit scores very closely, they know the exact dates that their scores have changed based on things like $1 CCT pulls that pull your report/score instantly.  Those pulls can be cross-referenced with what is provided (and dated) from banks that provide the same [version] FICO score and verified.

What you're saying simply doesn't make sense.  Allow me to illustrate a comparison using a restaurant as an example:

The bank customer (you) and the restaurant customer (you) are the same in this example... basically the end-user in the chain.  The bank customer is serviced by the bank, as the restaurant customer is serviced by the restaurant.  One of the many products/services provided by the bank is a FICO score.  One of the many products/services provided by the restaurant is the salmon.  The means of providing the FICO score is the FICO algorithm (ordered by the bank).  The means of providing the salmon is the food service company from which it is ordered.  The FICO algorithm gets it's data from the credit bureau.  The food service company gets it's product from a warehouse.

By saying that "FICO" is holding out on the delivery of the product, it would be like saying that the food service company is holding out on delivery.  The restaurant is out of salmon, has ordered it and deliveries always come on Friday.  Instead of the truck coming on Friday, the guy pulls over at a truck stop and chills out for 3 days, then delivers the product.  What sense would that make?  Certainly that would not benefit the restaurant, especially if they were planning on that product being available.  It wouldn't benefit the food service company nor would it the warehouse either and of course it would not benefit the end-user, the customer, who wouldn't be able to order the salmon.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there is a disconnect here. I am aware of how FICO uses algorithms to compute a score from a borrowers profile. In fact, if any of you have used certain popular PC anti-virus software, I was the lead engineer in creating a similar type of computation, where I would compute a risk score for a potentially-malicious executable based on various observations of what the EXE was doing (opening 100 Internet connections per second/scanning person data/etc.)

Your restaurant example is a very good one. It would be quite applicable to the current disussion if the salmon provided by the restaurant were free, once per month. Then, the food service company would play a game. They would  provide the salmon to the restaurant for free, but the restaurant would never know on what particular day the salmon would arrive. Nor would the consumer. To kick things off, the food service company would make the salmon available every 4th, 5th, or 6th or the month, typically the 5th. Then, many customers would show-up at restaurant on the 5th every month for few months, and feast on salmon. The food service company would insist, as part of providing free salmon, that the restaurant keep track of how many times people call the restaurant asking, "Is today free salmon day". Then, when food service company notices and enormous spike in such calls, the food service company will withold the salmon and jack-up the retail price. Days go by . 7th. 8th. 9th. 10th. 11th! After while, a certain percentage of people will say:

This is ridiculous! I was hoping to each salmon on the 4th. And here we are the 11th.  And it is still not here! Why am I even waiting? I can just buy the salmon.

And that's the point. The whole point of this strategy is to induce into the customer an expectation followed by frustation so that they purchase something that they have grown accustomed to receiving for free at semi-predictable instants. This would explain why FICO varies the day of revelation of the FREE FICO score. For this scheme to work, the variation has to be part of the game. When FICO detects that the customer (fish) cannot be hooked this month (pun intended), they will reveal the FICO score early in the month, to get customer hooked to a date around the beginning of the month. Then, when FICO detects customer desperation, they yank. Yanking, in this case, would let day after day go by, until the customer becomes so frustrated by unmet expectation, s/he calls the toll-free # at FICO, to pay for score.

Message 13 of 27
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Painful 

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow....quite hilarious actually.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Come on guys, it's not that far out.

I'm pretty sure that there are numerous customers paying Chase Bank $100+ / year, needlessly, even though they have their credit card accounts set to "Pay In Full", because they did not think carefully about how those balance transfer checks really work. I tried to explain it simply, but for most people, it seems to go into one ear and out the other. LOL. 

I do take consolation of having actually talked to a wealth manager for Chase in last month. I'd tried to explain it to him two years ago and he didn't get it. This time, as soon as heard me bring up the checks, he said, "Stay away from those. They're toxic.", then proceeded to regurgitate to me what I tried to tell him two years ago.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still trying to figure out what Chase balance transfer checks have to do with the original topic.

Think I'll go amuse myself by reading the OP's posting history; it seems he has an ax to grind for over a year now about $170 interest charged by Chase because he didn't understand that if you comingled a balance transfer with purchases you will be charged interest unless you pay off the entire balance immediately.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if you are not careful, like many people, and actually pay-off the entire balance, as opposed to re-enabling Auto-Pay to pay your "Statement Balance", you can end up pay several $100 / year in interest to Chase without realizing. Scenario:

1. You spend let's say $2000/month on card, but you have Auto-Pay set to pay "Statement Balance".
  2. You use balance transfer check in January for $1000, turning off auto-pay since you obviously do not want to auto-pay a $1000 loan that you just took.
  3. You decide, in August that you'd like to "go  back to normal".
  4. You have $5000 in your checking account.
  5. You re-enable Auto-Pay to pay the maximum amount that you automatically pay with Chase. the "Statement Balance" (there is no true PIF).
  6. Your account balance, consiting of the loan, plus other stuff is $3400.
  7. You think that, since you re-enabled Auto-Pay, the $5000 will easily kill the $3400. And it will.
  8. You later see that your balance drops down to $18.43 since (you bought gas, Snicker's bar, etc.)
  9. You think all is fine, and go back to charging $2000 / month, with Auto-Pay of Statement Balance active.

All is not fine. If you you have a card with 15% interest rate, you'll end-up paying Chase $150/year in interest with Auto-Pay set to to pay Statment Balance. You will not have your 25-day grace period back. Futhermore, even if you spend, say, only $1.80 one month, that will not be enough to get your grace period back. The balance actually has to go to zero (rather, the attempt to set it to zero has to be made), in order for you to get  your 25-day grace period back. And with Chase, at least, that cannot be achieved with Auto-Pay set to pay maximum amount that Auto-Pay is able to pay. With Chase, you have to explicitly eyeball your balance, and pay the *FULL* amount, even an amount that you charged 1 hour ago, to get the balance to go to zero. Only then will things go "back to normal".

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

I think there is a disconnect here.

Agreed.  You're making the argument that FICO is "holding out" and say it's not that far out there.  I think it is and presumably the others in this thread do as well.  Conspiracy theorists by definition are always in the minority, so it's more or less expected that you'd get this sort of response.  I do like CGID's tin foil hats reference earlier... I remember him first bringing that up about 2 years ago in another thread which I found hilarious.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's even more hilarious is that, out of the 20 or so people commenting on this thread and the one  before, there are probably only 2 who could provide a coherent explanation as to why tin foil hats are effective at blocking radio waves, why the particles of an electrodynamic wave cannot penetrate beyond a certain depth, which an be calcuated as function of distance from entry of the Poynting vector, the wave's magnitude decreasing exponentially, as a function of effective (potentially complex) dielectric of the material and magnetic permeabiity of the material, according to laws of electrodynamics (Maxwell's equations).

Like I said, there is a disconnect here.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.