cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans - utilization break points for FICO boosts during repayment?

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Student loans - utilization break points for FICO boosts during repayment?

@mster wrote:

When you say "there are no known break points" do you mean that you think score improvements from paying down installment loans will be relatively linear as those installment loans are paid down and that the FICO simulator is just providing the illusion that there are in fact break points other than <8.9%?

In a nutshell, yes. Like I said before, simulators are pretty much useless. Whatever score boosts it's showing may be solely due to aging of credit file and not due to balances going down.

Installment loans are different than revolving accounts, and you really only see a score boost when aggregate utilization on those (possibly individual as well, not sure) is <8.9%. There aren't any milestones along the way though, neither individual nor aggregate. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 11 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mster wrote:

When you say "there are no known break points" do you mean that you think score improvements from paying down installment loans will be relatively linear as those installment loans are paid down and that the FICO simulator is just providing the illusion that there are in fact break points other than <8.9%?

No. From my experience they're not "linear", they're nonexistent. So I would advise you to get that thought out of your mind.  It may not be logical or fair, but it is what it is.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 12 of 15
mster
Established Member

@Duke_Nukem wrote:
I think FICO scoring treats student loans like regular loans such as mortgage or auto (for the most part).  It seems FICO lumps all student loans together (and may actually lump them with other loans as well) for an aggregate UTI % and scores are adjusted based on that aggregate % and not individual UTI like on revolving accounts. 

That's effectively what the FICO score simulator is showing me - FICO bumps triggered simulaneously on multiple CRAs when different aggregate utilization thresholds are crossed - 87%, 80%, 74% and 63%.

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

So by paying off any of those loans will most likely cause the aggregate UTI % to increase on the remaining open loans and possibly DROP your FICO score.

Definitely going to avoid paying any of them off entirely for as long as I can for this and a number of other reasons (they'll only stay on my report and continue to contribute to average age off accounts for 10 years after closure etc).

EXPERIAN: 817 ------ EQUIFAX: 812 ------ TRANSUNION: 814
Message 13 of 15
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mster wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Based on numerous DPs on here, the breakpoints are 88.9%, 68.9%, 48.9%, 28.9%, and 8.9%, but those only apply to revolving accounts, not installment loans.

FICO simulators are not accurate, I wouldn't listen to them at all.

Definitely not treating the FICO calculator results as reliable. Just wanted to roughly ballpark things like max score boost (+70 points split between 3x bureaus at <10% aggregate util), most efficient score boost to net payment ratio (2/3 of the max boost kicks in for paying aggregate utilization down to ~63%) and min until drop for any kind of boost (92% to 87%). Again, I understand the calculator isn't reliable but it does seem to be accurate enough to give a very rough idea of how score boost will scale with payments / drops in aggregate util.

Two of the four loans are smaller and higher interest - would I be likely to get a bigger boost from paying them off completely or just dropping them to < 10% (or < 8.9%) util and letting them age?

There are no known break points in installment utilization percentage other than 9%. And that breakpoint is for aggregate utilization, not individual account  utilization. So the answer is no.

That's the point I've been trying to make @mster.

Mortgages must not be factored into this calculation.   My SO has a mortgage balance of $450K from a $500K loan (three years old) and has been pulling perfect 850s for the past two years on FICO 8 and FICO 9 on all three bureaus (since a very old 30 day late fell off).   Obviously 450/500 is not under 9%.

Message 14 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mster wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Based on numerous DPs on here, the breakpoints are 88.9%, 68.9%, 48.9%, 28.9%, and 8.9%, but those only apply to revolving accounts, not installment loans.

FICO simulators are not accurate, I wouldn't listen to them at all.

Definitely not treating the FICO calculator results as reliable. Just wanted to roughly ballpark things like max score boost (+70 points split between 3x bureaus at <10% aggregate util), most efficient score boost to net payment ratio (2/3 of the max boost kicks in for paying aggregate utilization down to ~63%) and min until drop for any kind of boost (92% to 87%). Again, I understand the calculator isn't reliable but it does seem to be accurate enough to give a very rough idea of how score boost will scale with payments / drops in aggregate util.

Two of the four loans are smaller and higher interest - would I be likely to get a bigger boost from paying them off completely or just dropping them to < 10% (or < 8.9%) util and letting them age?

There are no known break points in installment utilization percentage other than 9%. And that breakpoint is for aggregate utilization, not individual account  utilization. So the answer is no.

That's the point I've been trying to make @mster.

Mortgages must not be factored into this calculation.   My SO has a mortgage balance of $450K from a $500K loan (three years old) and has been pulling perfect 850s for the past two years on FICO 8 and FICO 9 on all three bureaus (since a very old 30 day late fell off).   Obviously 450/500 is not under 9%.

Good point. Mortgages seem to have their own special anointed place in the FICO world.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.